X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time wearing a kilt

I'll be wearing a kilt for a wedding soon. I'm considering going regimental, but want to be sure I don't expose myself. What do you wear under yours? Any advice for a first timer?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t succumb to the myth. Black underwear. You won’t sweat on the kilt to attract moths when you hang it in the closet.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is my personal choice that I always wear underwear with a kilt. Women don't want to see it and "Exposure" in front of children is illegal.
    I personally think the whole "regimental" thing is blown out of proportion myth but don't care, that is not the issue. Propriety, manners and good taste in public are.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'regimental' idea is nonsense, and has its origins in misundertanding of past habits mixed with modern ideas. Plus, you have to consider the hygiene issue - you will launder underwear regularly, but not so the kilt.

A kilt that is worn 'regimental' soon becomes a filthy and smelly garment. You might not notice as the wearer, but you can be sure anyone near you will! And they will remember.

What may once have passed as acceptable in barracks was regulated in the interests of decency - underwear shall be worn when ladies are present, or when involved in physical activity such as dancing.

I imagine ladies will be present at the wedding, and dancing too, so if you wish to observe 'regimental' practice, the 'rules' were laid down a long time ago and are easy to follow without risk, and with a clear conscience by knowing you are doing the right thing.

7. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wear briefs, black, dark red or dark blue - whichever more closely matches the kilt.

Steve said it well: "Propriety, manners and good taste in public..."
    Last edited by Couper; 30th April 24 at 11:09 AM.

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Couper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only advise not to - the winds around the church could prove treacherous, little kids running around in a hyper excited stampede - and a gazzilion people recording the event....

Black or toning boxers - they might end up in the album but at least you'll not be infamous for decades.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

11. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A black cotton half slip protects the kilt and still gives you freedom.

If you're new to wearing a kilt find a private place and walk in the wind different directions... you'll discover you're fine.

Winds that blow from your left hold the apron down.
    Winds that blow from your right hold the underapron down.

Winds are stronger coming to the edge of a building, at building entrances, and near vehicles where the Venturi effect brings strong winds from under the vehicle.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."