X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash color suggestions

I'm going to try my hand at making some hose flashes, and I wanted to get some opinions on colors. What would you folks recommend for a Gunn tartan? Green...red...either? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I'd go with green, but red would be OK too I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along this subject, when I recieved my kilt from Scotland, the flashes (same tartan) were included. Is this common?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not common exactly, but it's done, usually as an extra option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the only advise that I'll give on flashes is to coordinate them with the tartan, the shirt, AND the kilt hose. There's nothing worse than dark kilt hose with dark flashes... in my eyes anyway. It looks "muddy", or heavy, and draws away from the beautiful kilt. I, personally, prefer to see flashes that accentuate the base color of the tartan whenever possible. The kilt hose, then, should accentuate the shirt. That way, the top and bottom draw attention to the middle. It works!
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another question for those that have flashes: How wide is the Grosgrain fabric? I bought 1.5" today in dark green to be warn with Oatmeal hose. I will also have a pair of bottle green hose. I guess with your opinion Jimmy, maybe I should go with a lighter color for those hose? It makes sense. But what color?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamish can give you "the word" on when to wear light colored versus dark colored kilt hose. Naturally, the outfit will eventually determine which way you go. For me, the oatmeal hose with the green flashes are a wonderful look, especially if the top accentuates the oatmeal hose.

As for the width on the flashes, the dimensions on mine are 1.75" wide, and 5.25" from top to tip. Mine are all dual ribbon, and heavy weight.
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Jimmy on this one . When I wear my Gunn tartan with oatmeal coloured socks I wear my Matching tartan flashes. However if I didn't have thoose I'd wear green.

When I wear casual I don't often use flashes But if I was using green hose then I'd choose red flashes for the contrast
    All the Best.....David.
    Why be part of the crowd Choose a Freelander Sporran
    A Member of the Caledonian Society of Norway
    My Photo Gallery Flickr

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Carbomb
    Hamish can give you "the word" on when to wear light colored versus dark colored kilt hose. Naturally, the outfit will eventually determine which way you go. For me, the oatmeal hose with the green flashes are a wonderful look, especially if the top accentuates the oatmeal hose.
    Well, Jimmy, in my opinion you have said it all! The only thing I would add is that I, personally, would probably never wear bottle green hose with any of the modern colour, predominantly blue/green, tartans. Black Watch is also a good example of this (not that I would EVER wear Black Watch, as I have stated so many times in the past!). The problem with dark hose and the darker tartans is that, worn together, they will make you look very 'bottom heavy' from the waist down. In theory, and it works 99% of the time, the hose and your top (shirt, T-shirt, whatever) look so much better if they are pretty much the same colour. Not only is the visual balance pleasing but this will also show off the kilt's tartan to advantage and not detract from it.

My preference here is for beige or oatmeal hose and beige shirts. For casual or semi-formal wear, you cannot go wrong with this combination - and it'll work with virtually any tartan. Also with a plain black kilt: stunning! 8)

As for the width on the flashes, the dimensions on mine are 1.75" wide, and 5.25" from top to tip. Mine are all dual ribbon, and heavy weight.
    Again, spot on Jimmy. Nine of the ten pairs I have are the same as yours, but I have a tartan pair that I've had for many years - in fact, since before tartan flashes became popular - and they are just 1" wide. Again, they are dual ribbon and about 5" long.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info and opinions, everyone. I've already started making my flashes...I just need to get hold of my sister-in-laws sewing machine now. I'm also reconsidering the dark hose. Maybe I'll just use them for when I'm wearing boots, and have them pushed down. Have some thinking to do on that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast