X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Rugby Socks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rugby Socks

I just bought two pairs of solid-color rugby socks, one white and one gray from

http://store.ruggers.com/

They're over-the-calf socks, go look at any rugby team and you'll see. I figure they're probably built like tanks as I'm sure that a rugby scrum is not exactly a walk in the park for a pair of socks.

Here's a mess of rugby pictures so you can check out the socks as well at the general aura of high speed collision,if you're not familiar with rugby...

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s105/st53275.htm

They're not wool, they're a cotton blend with nylon and elastic and some are even acrylic so they're not as warm as wool. They're available in a huge range of colors, including stipes, solids, even tie-dye, but because they're not wool they'll lack the more complex colors and textures of wool socks. They're not wool kilt hose, they just ain't, so don't expect them to be what they aren't. But then, if you're not wearing a traditional wool kilt, maybe rugby socks will do ya just fine, eh? It might be a matter of taste.

In addition, they were five bucks a pair, plus shipping. For those of us on a budget, that might be noteworthy. The two pairs worked out to $18.18, using UPS ground shipping. I seriously doubt that they're at all different from solid-color soccer socks, which every sports store in the USA probably carries in a baffling array of colors. If you want outrageous stripes, roll-over contrasting color top socks and so on to wear with your kilt well, now you know how to get 'em. *cough*. 'course, I'm going to cover my eyes when I meet you if you're wearing blue and orange striped rugby socks with your Dress Gordon kilt. I might pretend I don't actually KNOW you. :P

I'll report on how they work out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck of a deal Alan, thanks for the link.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, the rugby socks arrived. Now, rugby socks are A.) Beefy (and they are) B.) NOT kilt hose (very plain ribbing, not wool and lots of elastic to hold them up during scrums) and generally just very different from kilt hose. I want to emphasize this. These are NOT ultra-comfy, warm-and-fuzzy wool kilt hose. They're hard wearing, synthetic athletic socks. On the other hand, they're 1/2 - 1/3rd the price, so....

The white ones work great. I'm very pleased and will be wearing them around. If you wanted over-the-calf hose to wear to athletics at the Highland Games, this is your ticket. If you get them muddy and generally foul, you've lost $6 rather than $20. I wouldn't wear them hiking, as there's not much padding in this brand. If you dump coffee on them you won't die, like you would with a $20 pair of wool kilt hose. If you want hose for athletics or you're just on a super-tight budget, consider white rugby/soccer socks.

The gray ones...not so good. Remember the part about all that elastic? Well, the elastic is white, and runs 'round the calf, woven into the fabric of the rest of the sock. The sock yarn is dyed plain gray. Up near the top of the sock, I swear the things are half elastic. Presumeably the other solid color hose are also built/dyed this way. Down around the ankle everything is fine, but up around my calves, especially where the sock turns over, the gray yarn gets stretched out and you see a LOT of white elastic strands in between the gray ribbing. This doesn't look so good. It's probably fine on the rugby field, but it's not so great for wearing around town, IMHO. The elastic is invisible in the white hose because it's the same color, but it really stands out in the gray socks.

Now, I've got pretty big gams. My calves are 20 inches around. My shoe size is 13. These socks would still look odd if they were stretched to 12 inches instead of 20, so I can't recommend the colored ones unless you have really slender legs.

White...great. Colored... nope. I'll leave the decision on the tie-dye ones up to you. :P I'm gonna ask my brother in law if he wants the gray ones to wear with his referees uniform for his kids soccer team. He's the same shoe size I am but is a lot more slender.

I noticed last night that Bear sells rugby socks. They're probably a different brand from what I got, which are mostly nylon/acrylic/elastic. His brand might do better on this account.