X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Act of Proscription

On August 1st, 1746 the Act of Proscription went into effect, the first of the 'Kings laws' bent on breaking the back of the Scottish system of government and independent life. These laws virtually eliminated a way of life by destroying the clans, their identities and economic structures.

Next Monday is the anniversary of the passing of these laws. Wear your kilt in remembrance of these dark times of highland repression. I think this would be a perfect opportunity for those who have not yet worn their kilt to the workplace to do so. When asked "What's the occasion?" you will have an answer and be able to educate the people with a little bit of history. Since the laws were an attempt to wipe out highland identity, a highland tartan would be most appropriate to wear, but if you don't have one any will do.

After you've made this important first step, maybe you can then wear your kilt another day when there is no occasion.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would do that at the office, if I were going in. We are sponsoring a golf tourney on two different courses for 115 clients. While they wouldn't care, the predicted 94 degree temps can't be good with me in a tank. And I suspect that flying around in a golf cart my lead to an embarrising moment or two.
    David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider it done!

But since I do wear my kilt with regularity, I do have some more answers in case I get asked.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wear the kilt on the golf course. First golf, invented in Scotland, so good excuse.

Second. I spent last summer shooting a reality tv show, kilted the whole time, and spent days outside with no problems. Then I spend 4 days on a golf course for the Golf Channel wearing shorts. On my third day I went home with a 103 fever and aproching heat stroke, and I had been hydrating all day. Kilts are better for you on hot days.

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done And Done!!

An t-Ileach is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Preas a'Chiobair/Shepherd's Bush, Lunnainn/London RA/UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very good suggestion.

There was a Highland saying that if you met a man in a kilt you knew that his language was Gaelic. Well the same policy that proscribed the kilt was also used to suppress the language. Pity we can't campaign for the revival of Gaelic in Scotland.

However, following on from Dave's suggestion, next year, 2006, will be the 260th anniversary of the Act of Proscription - perhaps we could start campaigning now for a BIg Commemoration (and defiance) among Scots and kilt-wearers world-wide. That would raise the public's awareness of the kilt even more, wouldn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea! If there was ever a time to take the bull by the horns and just do it!... this is it! "In your face, dress code! :-P Too bad I've got the day off work on Monday... I'll wear my kilt on Monday anyway 8)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Adam, I'm in. Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by An t-Ileach
    This is a very good suggestion.

There was a Highland saying that if you met a man in a kilt you knew that his language was Gaelic. Well the same policy that proscribed the kilt was also used to suppress the language. Pity we can't campaign for the revival of Gaelic in Scotland.

However, following on from Dave's suggestion, next year, 2006, will be the 260th anniversary of the Act of Proscription - perhaps we could start campaigning now for a BIg Commemoration (and defiance) among Scots and kilt-wearers world-wide. That would raise the public's awareness of the kilt even more, wouldn't it?
    We'll need to double-check the date. I've just done a quick check and I'm starting to think that it was written in 1746 to take effect in August, 1747. I'm not finding a clear distinction between the Highland Dress Act and the Disarming Act and wondering if it's different names for the same thing. I can do a fuller check tomorrow if nobody else clarifies it.

In any case we could try and tie in the whole month of July: from July 1 to celebrate the lifting of the Act to August 1 to remember the imposition of the Act.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    We'll need to double-check the date. I've just done a quick check and I'm starting to think that it was written in 1746 to take effect in August, 1747. I'm not finding a clear distinction between the Highland Dress Act and the Disarming Act and wondering if it's different names for the same thing. I can do a fuller check tomorrow if nobody else clarifies it.

In any case we could try and tie in the whole month of July: from July 1 to celebrate the lifting of the Act to August 1 to remember the imposition of the Act.
    That's what I'm trying to find out as well; it looks like your statement about the Act being written in 1746, and took effect on 1 August 1747 is correct. From what I'm reading, they are one and the same. The exemption, of course, was for any Highlander serving in the British Army.

http://www.tartansauthority.com/Web/.../TartanBan.asp

http://www.medievalscotland.org/clot...hing1746.shtml

Yours Aye,

Todd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast