X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argyll - Great jacket, or the greatest jacket?

I have a black Argyll jacket, but I've lost weight and now it's too big (side note: I have a black argyll jacket for sale!). Recently I was poking around kiltstore.net and saw this photo:

Look how bonnie that is! That's so gorgeous!!! I want a tweed jacket and waistcoat. A lot. Anybody know where I can find one for under $250 U.S.?

How about, just for good measure, I post this photo too, in case the other one didn't demonstrate the sheer beauty.

Stunning, really. Simply dashing.

p.s. - I'm seriously trying to sell my black argyll jacket. It's 48" long, in perfect condition, and comes with a wasitcoat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I've looked at that photo a million times I bet and never noticed that the kilt is Fraser Hunting. And that the kilt is a bit too long.

Other than the length, I agree it is a very nice look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they are beautiful, but at 405 GBP, that is pretty steep.

I like the Crail style jacket in this color. It would be for day wear, and the Argyll is just a bit too dressy for casual day wear for me.

My next jacket will probably be a Lovat Green tweed from Scottishkilts.net.
    With a waistcoat, it is only 195 GBP, including the VAT.

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Hay!
    ...My next jacket will probably be a Lovat Green tweed from Scottishkilts.net. With a waistcoat, it is only 195 GBP, including the VAT.
    You may want to reconsider ordering any jacket from any Viking Technology affiliated Web site. If you investigate a little more carefully, you'll find many more people like myself who have been burned by them.

Regards,
    Scott Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at J Higgins http://www.jhiggins.net/They're out of Kansas so no duty and the prices ain't bad. I got my jacket from them and I'm quite happy with it. You can select the style of cuff from plain, Prince Charlie or gauntlet style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very coordinated look, and wouldn't look out out of place at a wedding either.

Both jacket and kilt do look a tad too long though.

Although you often hear that a black Argyll jacket is the most versatile, I think smart tweed may well be even more so. I have a black Braemar (with black buttons) and still find it too dressy for many occasions.

M.

[As an aside, second-hand tweed kilt jackets regularly seem to change hands on the auction market for a fraction of what black Argylls and PCs go for]
    Last edited by Moose McLennan; 9th August 06 at 06:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gilmore
    You may want to reconsider ordering any jacket from any Viking Technology affiliated Web site. If you investigate a little more carefully, you'll find many more people like myself who have been burned by them.

Regards,
    Scott Gilmore
    Like most companies, Scott, they seem to be hit and miss. I have had outstanding service from them and would highly recommend them (especially for the price ). I have read your warnings about the Viking Tech affiliates and do take them to heart, but wanted to point out that I have never had any issue with them (that wasn't at least corrected promptly). I have ordered a jacket/waistcoat, 8 yard 16 oz kilt, dress sporran, hose, and a quaich from them.

I do respect your input though as it is nice to hear both sides so an educated decision can be made.

beloitpiper,
    For the price, check these out http://www.tartanweb.com/view/argyll...waistcoat.html or http://www.tartanweb.com/view/argyll...waistcoat.html It's a good price for a jacket and waistcoat in tweed.

Also check out their jacket sale http://www.tartanweb.com/list/jacket_sale.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love the look of that outfit. But one thing would make it better.....brown ghillies to match that sporran.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the gillies are far too formal for the outfit. Plain brown brogues or oxfords would look better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice jacket!

I also like the brown hunting sporran...the kilt is too long and the ghillie brogues look odd also...medium brown "normal" brogues would be much better

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast