X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

perceptions of formal attire

Hey guys, I wanted to start a mild discussion concerning: exactly WHAT is considered formal attire? I know that black and often fur are part of a formal ensemble... but what about nice brown leather accoutrements?
    Here is my thought process:
    1. I like brown leather, and have a number of brown leather accessories coming.
    2. Brown used to be regarded as the better quality leather (in reference to a highland regiment reference, where it was said officers were issued brown leather gear).
    3. Formal is all about clean presentation.
    4. So, if I possessed a matching set of brown leather belt, sporran, sporran strap, and brogues, along with complimenting kilt hose and flashes, and say a clean jacobite styled shirt, or perhaps a nice dress coat, say a Montrose, of a Prince Chralie, would that not equal out to a pretty sharp formal ensemble?

I ask this because I know that black is typically used for formal or evening wear, and I have read that many people regard brown as day wear, or "working" accessories. While I am not trying to say that this is wrong in any sense, I am in a way challenging that ideal a bit, and try to present the idea that brown can serve quite well in a more formal environment. Simple clean, and understated, formal is about looking clean and presentable, not necessarily switching into strutting peacock mode.
    I am thoroughly under the impression that formal is merely a perception, and how you present yourself to others will affect their perceptions as well.

Thoughts?

Kilted KT is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reserve brown for non-formal dress. My black leathers are being stowed once my brown belts arrive, so they stay in top condition for the next wedding/formal party/etc. Something about brown boots/shoes says "not formal" to me, especially since a vast majority of work boots ( historically speaking) are brown.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew,

Matt Newsome just covered this recently in one of his blogs:

http://blog.albanach.org/2006/07/black-v-brown.html

Black has traditionally always been the formal color of choice. I love brown accessories but they just don't quite work with formalwear.

Cheers
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilted KT:
    So you would say that from your experiences, black is the better colour?
    I must admit, I am typically not a formal guy, so even a full ensemble in brown would likely be fancy enough for my tastes, even if no one else agrees with the notion

What are your thoughts on formal as a mindset or presentation/sense of confidence in your choices?

I am tryingto partially dig and see what mental factors help comprise the concept of formal.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew,

It seems to me as one moves up the fashion "ladder" (work clothes, casual, business casual, dressy, semi-formal, and formal) that the rules and restrictions for men become more and more rigid. Formal wear for men abides by certain rules. Do you need to follow them? No. But be aware you are breaking them. In one sense as a kilt wearer you are in luck. Brown accessories with a tuxedo would be rseen as completely out of place by the majority. Few people are in the know for kilted fashion and will not recognize your fashion faux pas. There are the rules. If you want to be daring, feel free to break them. But you are heading into territory without precedent here.

Cheers

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Matt puts up a nice case for using black as casual wear...
    I usually use Matt's writings as a solid source of info. That being said, I have seen some nice, mildly furred sporrans that would look great as formal wear (and yeah, they are black). I do always say to follow the second commandment of wearing the kilt: Thou shalt accessorize well. And in all seriousness, the cost for a black leather belt, sporran, strap and shoes, isn't horrendous, and it can easily change up the look of your kilt... black accessories with a nice dress shirt would look pretty sharp, and you are unlikely to clash with anything wearing black.

I like this discussion so far... kinda want to see where it goes. Digging for others' insights and ideas, and not "just" traditionally accepted mediums.

Would anyone think that a guy in a kilt, wearing all brown accessories, and a brown pair of ghillies would be "over dressed?" As I have already purchased all but the brogues, and will use them to top off that particular set.

More thoughts if you please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some other thoughts for consideration (and I personally agree with Panache's and KKT's thoughts):

1) The metal most commonly used for formal wear accessories, e.g., cuff links, and on kilt attire, sporran cantles, etc., is silver. IMHO, silver looks better with black than brown. I suppose you could use gold with brown for formal purposes . . . but brass is the one of the most common metals paired with brown leather, and brass is usually considered a casual-accessory metal.

2) If your attire consisted of warm, gold-based tones, you might get away with it: kilt in a tartan with warm tones, a Montrose in chocolate brown velvet, ivory or cream colored jabot and lace cuffs instead of white, brown leathers / fur with gold trim. However, in my mind's eye, personally I see this as sort of 1970s and dated (having lived through that era . . . ). Then again, if you have olive skin tones and look very good in gold-toned colors, it might look very good on you.

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, I am pasty white!
    Ha ha ha.

Yes, I agree, silver would go better with black... but black compliments anything (which is why it is my typical choice for t-shirts, shirts, and slacks, and I don't get a choice about my black work pants with my security uniform).

As I had stated, I am not saying that black doesn't make fine formal wear, I just want to see what other people thought of what I thought. This is a good discussion so far, with people definitely leaning towards black as THE formal colour, and nothing is wrong with this.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Green
    ...Would anyone think that a guy in a kilt, wearing all brown accessories, and a brown pair of ghillies would be "over dressed?" As I have already purchased all but the brogues, and will use them to top off that particular set.

More thoughts if you please.
    Andrew,

Get yourself a tweed kilt jacket, a turtle neck (or dress shirt and tie), a smart cap, and perhaps a good walking stick and you have a super kilted daywear outfit (my favorite kilted look).

Cheers

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Panache:
    I have been drooling over the thought of getting an older style blue bonnet (what else?!), and I have been wanting to get a kilt jacket sometime in the future (I was actually thinking one of the WPG replica WWI cutaways... khaki wool... a pretty neutral colour). I wouldn't be the first person to use military clothing or replicas in a clean ensemble... ahem...Rivekilt. So it shows that there are many of options out there. I recall reading something about Freedom Kilts trying to come up with an inexpensive kilt jacket in a brown tweed I think... which would not clash with the red of many tartans I like, and would match my affinity for brown leather.

As far as shirts go, I like the Jacobite style, and even older fashioned shirts... but for contemporary, I like the Dickies brand work shirts... the cut is large enough, and the sleeves long enough, and they are rather tough, and they don't fade very fast either... tucked in, no one would ever see the label, and I find they work well for casual wear (it's what I've got on at the moment, along with my SWK weathered Lamont).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast