X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Fresno, California in the good old U.S.A.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet More examples of the Power of the Kilt

Today was a day about the kilt. I regularly wear a kilt to work on days when I'm teaching in the classroom, and for the most part there is little comment. But today-- Today was a day about the kilt.

First up I got a note from Alt-Kilt apologizing that they were a bit behind schedule and instead of shipping my kilt today (as she had hoped), they would start making it today (but it should go out the end of this week.... Oh the jones!)

Then I went to teach my first class. I like to arrive early and get the classroom set up. Well, I failed today because I'm not the first one in there this term, so I had to wait in the hall for the first teacher to finish teaching. Several of my former students passed in the hall and complimented the kilt "I miss seeing a guy in a kilt regularly... Umm, I mean a teacher ummm in a kilt" I also shared with a few students who have had me before that my new kilt should be here in a week or so.

A student (not in any of my classes) asked what "Clan group" I was from. At first I thought he was going to make some sort of snide comment, but went on to be excited about the kilt. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to chat with him farther, as my classroom became available.

Then I taught my first class of the term. Then headed across to campus to drop off text books at the library's reserve desk. I had two people walk out of their way to compliment me on wearing kilt. On the way back, a student called out "Dude, Thank You for wearing a kilt" (I wish I had a clever response, but I was so stunned -- a student said "Thank you!" I replied, "You're welcome."

I went and taught class number two. After class a few more former students stopped by to say hi. One said "I tell everyone I know to take a class from you 'cause you wear a kilt. Oh, and you're a good teacher, but mostly they should take class from you 'cause you wear a kilt. By the way, this is my cousin; he's in your class. He was supposed to wear his [Traditional Pacific Rim Men's Unbifurcated Garment] but chickened out." He responded that he didn't chicken out, but would wear it on Wednesday. We compared the advantages and disadvantages of the two garments (He liked that his was lighter weight for Fresno summers, but regretted that it didn't have buckles and so he is afraid of exposing himself on windy days).

Then yet another quick trip across campus, and a (rather gothed out)student came up to me and said "If you can wear a kilt I can wear my man skirt and be comfortable in class." (from his attire I imagine it is something like the kilt like cloths they sell (sold?) at Hot Topic).

I stopped by the division office to check on some paperwork, and was told that I can get the paperwork rushed because I dressed so nicely today.

Most days I don't get any comments about my kilt -- but today, the kilt was the major theme. I also think I may have inspired (or at least nudged) several students to dress the way they want to dress. I may see more kilts on campus, which would be a plus -- and even better several young men may break out of the high school mentality that they must be just like everyone else.

Anyway, I hope my ramblings haven't been too long, but it was a great day and I had to share.

Cheers
    Chris
    (And I'm hoping posting here will help mitigate the Alt Kilt Jones)
    I wish I had something funny or profound to put in a signature.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder is it so much about the kilt or the guy who has the guts to wear one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love hearing the positives.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crboltz View Post
    I may see more kilts on campus, which would be a plus -- and even better several young men may break out of the high school mentality that they must be just like everyone else.

Anyway, I hope my ramblings haven't been too long, but it was a great day and I had to share.
    I've had several students wear kilts to class for the first time, just because I do. I'm a college teacher and even college students need encouragement.

Thanks for the post.
    Past President, St. Andrew's Society of the Inland Northwest
    Member, Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
    Founding Member, Celtic Music Spokane
    Member, Royal Photographic Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a land-slide of comments! Sounds like you are setting a good example!

bricelythgoe is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great day. It is always nice to be complimented.

Fresno, California in the good old U.S.A.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today, I taught scenic construction (Practical) which meant being in the scene shop with dust and glue and paint and nooooo kilt. I had a couple of students who were disappointed until one said "Kilts and ladders don't mix" which made everyone laugh....

This semester has been really great. Tomorrow, I get to kilt up again!

Cheers
    Chris
    I wish I had something funny or profound to put in a signature.

Phogfan86 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Coluim View Post
    I wonder is it so much about the kilt or the guy who has the guts to wear one?
    Yes.
    Why, a child of five could understand this. Quick -- someone fetch me a child of five!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a student tell me he was getting a kilt on the last day of class.