X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are titles acceptable, Keep them, Don't care.

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the titles. Let's have a them. They're harmless and fun.

97 72.39%
  • Titles? What titles? I haven't noticed them.

18 13.43%
  • Don't put no bleedin' titles on me, . . grrrrrrrr. They belong under William Wallace's feet

19 14.18%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silly Title wanted, or not!

ooops! i left an errant "A" in the first choice

(ø) - - - I must have a title. If I get a title my eyes will open & my garden will be blessed. They're fun and I can break your finger for jabbing my ribs too hard, or too often, or too funny, or two times, or today, or tomorrow, or Tuesday, or . . . . .

O - - - Titles? What titles? I haven't noticed them.

O - - - Don't put no bleedin' titles on me. . grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

THE POLL WILL CLOSE
    6-27-10
    Last edited by morrison; 27th March 10 at 06:12 PM. Reason: poll close date
    Go, have fun, don't work at, make it fun! Kilt them, for they know not, what they wear. Where am I now?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow a 90 day poll! I think management will have an idea before then. I think these three fellows said it best.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison View Post
    That thread about titles was important to me to read. I am compelled to join into the conversation. Unfortunately my opportunity to speak up disappeared before I knew that the thread had come and gone.
    I very much enjoyed the prospect of attaining the next available title. My goal had been to advance relevant conversation at more opportune occasions while having fun with the growth of my own presence on this forum. I am not to be stifled. I don't insult as far as I know and I attempt to be friendly, concise, informative, humorous and relevant.
    Certainly, I've posted congrats and hello's and yes to this or no to that as a course of increasing my post count which leads to automatic title advancement. That, to me was a fun game and it contributed to my feeling engaged in this forum. New ownership and new management in my experience rarely permits the existence of a former method of operations. That in itself often leads to a turnover of regulars who see an influx of new visitors and users that see nothing different but stay because there is a continuity present and an apparently familiar banter being cast.

I am resistant to change for change sake. I am slow to embrace the new when it doesn't seem necessary. However, I quickly jump off when the old begins smelling. And here, at XMTS the titles also help cover that moldy oder that comes up in old wool kilts. Just a few thousand more posts and I might one have been far advanced enough to be a "Grand Defender of the Oder of the Kilt" order of the kilt.

The titles were a significant element to my humor here at XMARKSTHESCOT.
    If anyone cares to note or even go take a look, you'll find that in one of my earliest posts {6-6-6} I make quite a bit of good sense of the titles passed out to the locals (which I became).

There are numerous other forums in the world that have many people attentions divided. There are few forums in the world that have peoples undivided attention. My attentions go to more than one forum. I'm one of those whose attention is divided amongst this and others. Title at some of the other forums seemed too directed toward identifying the individual rather than just something a bit more fun, whimsical, if you must, such as here at XMTS.

I implore you, ownership and mod staff along with you brothers and sisters to recreate and renew the vigor and interest in the fun aspect here and press to RESTORE the titles to us, the users whom sometimes need to see even a Whimsy or trite recognition, even if it is only a meaningless counter to some.

It meant plenty to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Surely no one takes these titles seriously? How can they? BUT, they do add to the tongue in cheek and gentle fun that I come to this website for. As a member of this website I was fortunate to be honoured with a special title, now some would say "big deal" and that is their right. Speaking for myself it was rather nice that "some people somewhere" had thought that I had contributed, unwittingly, enough "something" to warrant that gift. You know, getting a pat on the back from people from all over the world whom you had never met and in truth are never likely to, is rather nice and frankly, it meant something to me and it also does add, on occasion, to the fun and humour in no small way. Alright, perhaps its time to start with a clean slate, perhaps its time to streamline things, but let us not take away the opportunity for a wee bit of fun. Let us add to the fun, not take it away. Steve, I know you have a lot on your plate reorganising your, it is yours when all said and done, website, but can I ask you to reconsider the "Title" issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    This is my first, and perhaps only post concerning the removal and/or restoration of titles. I never really paid much attention to them when we had them, and didn't even notice when they were removed until people started discussing it. So count me in that camp that doesn't really care one way or the other.

But it has occurred to me reading the posts in this and other threads, that people either post to say how much they miss the titles and hope they come back, or they post to say that (like me) they never really paid attention to them so it doesn't really matter.

I have yet to see a post by someone who adamantly feels that they should not come back and have no place in the forum.

I think that fact alone may be telling....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's the 10 foot option? ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not have the titles? It does not give any special privelages, or a pension of sorts.. It's just something fun... some people hold the titles more to heart than others, but it's all in fun. Besides "The Grant" has been secretly devising a plan to regain his own special title....lol
    “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”
    – Robert Louis Stevenson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If folks feel the need for titles, I think they should be disappearing titles. They should come and go like the seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except some of us earned those titles over the years. Bit hard to be flippant about them for some of us.

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes down to it, all titles, even those on this site, are mere social courtesies. If they mean a lot to an individual member they can move them down to their signature line, just like French aristocrats do.

Frankly, rather than titles, I'd like to see the members post their actual location (city/state or province/country) as this would go a long way in providing useful advice when someone asks "Where can I..."

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone knows I liked the titles. They were totally useless, didn't mean a lot, and conferred no real status or importance, but they were ours and part of the fun of this place. They were kind of like us!

The only time I actually paid attention was the time posted for the 1000th time. I actually made a post mentioning that it was the 1000th post once realized I was almost there.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peacekeeper83 View Post
    Besides "The Grant" has been secretly devising a plan to regain his own special title....lol
    No I have not!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Titles don't mean much but they are one of the reasons I keep posting. After five years as a member of this forum, I've almost made 3000 posts and would like to have some recognition for that.
    Past President, St. Andrew's Society of the Inland Northwest
    Member, Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
    Founding Member, Celtic Music Spokane
    Member, Royal Photographic Society

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast