X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tying garters...an alternative to the STM method

Here's the video for the STM method:
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ter-tie-48901/

It's simple, easy, and works fairly well...however, I have found that it loosens quicker than what I've been doing, and when tight enough to withstand rough use, the small knot creates an uncomfortable pressure point.

Here's how I've been doing it. It does require a couple tries to sort out exactly where the tassel needs to sit...but once that's established, it's just as quick and easy as tying the knot in the above video.

I put my garters at the sides of my legs...so imagine a line directly down the side of the leg. Begin by placing one tassel behind the line, hanging down as usual. Bring the garter up in a curve, and hold it in place just under the turnover. Between finger and tassel, the garter is just hanging free, but it's "stuck" to the wool sock somewhat.

While holding the garter in place, wrap the long end around your leg, snugly...as tight as you want it. You're stretching it a bit, not just laying it in place.

Lay it on top of the first layer, keeping it snug, and wrap again. The wool will stick to itself, holding in place the loose original end, and keeping tension around the garter. Bring the end of the wrap down over the wraps, in front of the original loose end, then up behind the garter, and drop it over the top. If done correctly, it should hang just in front of the original loose end, at the same height.

When I tie up, the finished ends of the garters, and the fringe, are below the turned cuff of the sock.

This method ensures several things:

-Circulation isn't cut off by a tight, thin knot or garter
    -The garter won't come loose, even after ten miles of tromping around
    -It's easy to tighten (twelve miles in and running downhill, I had to tighten)
    -Turnover is more likely to be at an aesthetically pleasing height, since otherwise the garter ends are dangling in the wind like exposed flashes over knee-highs on a skirtified rental kilt getup.

So...if you're getting rough with your kilt, and your socks are succumbing to gravity due to loose garters...give this a shot.

Worth noting...the height of the first tassel is critical...set it lower than you think it needs to go. If (when) I'm in a hurry, I almost always seem to set it higher up, and then the turnover ends up covering part of that tassel, while leaving part of the garter exposed on the other tassel .

-Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A picture is worth a thousand words...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried this method this afternoon, while unpacking from the Grandfather Mountain Games. It really works, and I like that the result is smoother (less of a lump) than with the method shown in the STM video. Thanks for posting the directions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdcorlis View Post
    A picture is worth a thousand words...
    <chortle> Here is one. Click through for several photos:

Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fluter View Post
    <chortle> Here is one. Click through for several photos:
    Thanks
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genius! Thanks for helping us visual learners!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a post recently where someone said they tied a Windsor knot - like a neck tie....??
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always told people that there really is no right or wrong way to tie your garters, so long as they stay up, are comfortable, and you are happy with them. The method we illustrate in our video is just one that I have found to be especially easy for folks to learn how to do, so it's a great start.

Thanks for sharing another method with us, Sean.

I do just want to say, from my own experience, that I personally use the method we show in the video, and have for a few years now. And, as I wear the kilt three or four days per week, and I only ever wear these traditional garters (never the elastic style any longer), I have much experience tying this knot. I've never once had it come loose on me during the day, regardless of my activity level. And I've never felt that the knot created a bulge, a pressure point, or was particularly "lumpy."

So I guess this is just to say that your mileage may vary. I think folks would be wise to experiment with different ways to tie their garters and settle on a method that works for them.

(When I first switched to traditional garters I tied them with more of a "wrap and tuck" method that did not actually involve tying a knot in the garter. It was very comfortable, and held up relatively well. I switched to the simple knot in the video because it feels more secure and was easier for me to show our customers how to do it.)
    Last edited by M. A. C. Newsome; 15th July 10 at 03:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I didn't mean that this was better or worse than any other method, just that it's been working better for me...YMMV...

It probably stays more snug because of the double overlapped wrap, vs the crossover in back & knot in front in the STM vid. The analogy that comes immediately to mind is the grip of a winch cable on the drum being the result of multiple wraps around the drum, rather than the eye being bolted to the drum.

I'm sure there's some amalgamation of the two...time for some experimentation.

Was your wrap/tuck method similar to what I'm doing at the moment?

-Sean

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrover View Post
    Was your wrap/tuck method similar to what I'm doing at the moment?

-Sean
    It wasn't exact, but it was rather similar, yes.

Again, the reasons I personally switched to the method in the video was that I felt the knotted method was a bit more secure (not that I ever had problems with the garter slipping before), but mainly because it seemed to be easier for me to show customers considering a traditional garter purchase how to do it.

Usually, when I'm helping someone in the gift shop make a garter selection, they will have never seen the traditional ties before (everyone is used to the elastic). They generally want to know how to wear them, and as I am always wearing a set, it's easy for me to show them. Before, when I had mine "wrapped and tucked" similar to your method, I got a lot of puzzled looks and, "I don't know if I'm going to be able to remember how to do that..."

When I show them the simple knot method, as in the video, I usually get an "Oh, that's easy, I can remember that!"

Since I have to show a lot of people how to tie their garters, it was the fact that this method seemed easy for people to pick up quickly that really sold me on it! But I realize that might not be a factor for everyone. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast