X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric bagpipes?

Good day all,

I was at River Dance last night (comp tickets) and in the early part of the show there was an instamental solo that sounded like a bag pipe but from what I could see (again comp tickets) it didn't look like a bag pipe.

Was wondering are there electric bag pipes?

Jim
    Last edited by Drac; 17th January 11 at 08:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there are electric bag pipes, I've seen them a couple of times.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out "Red hot chilli pipers".....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that one of the companies is called Fagerstrom (?)...when I last looked at their wares, they looked like way big fun. Apparently some of the instruments have different settings to simulate different types of pipes. One of the appeals is that they take standard earbuds so you could practice on the commuter train, while at jury duty...etc. Looks like a foot long piece of pvc pipe, too. Love to jack one of these into a stack of Marshals turned up to eleven.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://redpipes.eu/Seiten_engl/index_engl.html

The Gaelic Storm piper uses the Caledonian....

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are electronic bagpipes - Fagerstrom is one brand/type. There are also Ross, Deger, and redpipes. (To me, 'electric' implies some sort of plug-in cord and an electrical outlet. Electronic is more the battery-powered, transistorized, portable technology, like a calculator, wristwatch, cell phone, etc.)

Some electronic 'pipes' are just the chanter - the part that produces the tune - and others (like the redpipes) actually simulate the full sound of the pipes, drones and all.
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Fagerstrom "Technopipes". 10" long, 5/8" diameter, with a slight taper. Runs on a single AAA battery. Produces both drone and chanter sounds in your choice of 4 keys, and can be adjusted over a 2 octave range. Also sounds in 3 "voices", Great Highland Pipes, and 2 different smallpipe configurations. Can sound very impressive when plugged into a decent amp. I usually use mine with earbuds. I take it into work, sneak in some practice during down times. They're good to use at home, I can practice at early or late hours without disturbing my Bride. They're great for travelling (although small cylinders full of circuitry tend to give TSA agents a nervous tic). As Auld Argonian said, "Way big fun"
    All skill and effort is to no avail when an angel pees down your drones.

Vancouver on the Mighty Columbia. That's in Washington State USA for the geographically challanged.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    I have the Fagerstrom "Technopipes". 10" long, 5/8" diameter, with a slight taper. Runs on a single AAA battery. Produces both drone and chanter sounds in your choice of 4 keys, and can be adjusted over a 2 octave range. Also sounds in 3 "voices", Great Highland Pipes, and 2 different smallpipe configurations. Can sound very impressive when plugged into a decent amp. I usually use mine with earbuds. I take it into work, sneak in some practice during down times. They're good to use at home, I can practice at early or late hours without disturbing my Bride. They're great for travelling (although small cylinders full of circuitry tend to give TSA agents a nervous tic). As Auld Argonian said, "Way big fun"
    Big fun, big price! But they do a lot of things. We opted for buying a used set of Walsh shuttle pipes for the same price, but the Fagerstroms are still on my wish list - just in case anyone out there wants to buy me a nice gift.
    Last edited by vmac3205; 18th January 11 at 05:46 PM.
    Victoria

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my mind electric pipes are only good for practicing. It's like setting up a drum machine and telling every one your a percussionist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowher View Post
    In my mind electric pipes are only good for practicing. It's like setting up a drum machine and telling every one your a percussionist.
    better not tell that to the bands that use them to allow them to avoid problems with changing pitch and to play tunes in different keys, with different pipe sounds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast