X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ecstatic with my new kilt.

I kind of keep an eye on the clearance section at scotweb. I know the odds of finding something I want, in my size and in my tartan are remote, but if I don't watch I'll never find it.

If you just open the clearance section at scotweb, usually the results run to 5-7 pages of items. I have noticed some kilt hose show up sorted under hose and some socks I would wear as kilt hose show up under socks. Likewise vests and waistcoats don't appear together in the clearance lists. It is very reminiscent of poking around someone's attic.

If you want a tank for half price, this would be one link to add to your favorites:

http://www.scotweb.co.uk/buy/the-bal...-flashes/stock

There was a bit of bother about the sett identification. It was listed in the clearance section as clan Scott monochrome when I ordered it. Then I got an email that it is really clan Scott monochrome (Sir Walter Scott) and not really Loch Carron Strome but a custom Dalgliesh weave in the ancient rather than modern palette and did I still want to purchase the item?

So my wife and I looked at both setts on the tartan ferret and decided we were fine with either. The nice thing about this transaction was that I could return it if need be since it was a stocked item rather than made to my measurements.

Alaska is nine time zones west of Scotland, so we were trading one email each every 24 hours there for a while, but eventually scotweb put the kilt in a box and it finally got here.

Figheadair (I need to send that man a thank you note) positively identified the sett, it is a keeper for me:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-please-70752/

And it seems like even BarbT thinks it fits OK:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...rrectly-70765/

So I am keeping it. Who knew I would someday have a brand new tank in one of my clan tatans in the Balmoral line from scotweb that fits correctly for under US$300?

Next I have an appointment with my youngest daughter, the one with an eye for color. She agrees my other kilts (PV Hunting Stewart, PV Black Watch and LC Strome clan green) all tone to brown. The monochrome sett tones to grey. Co-ordinate, contrast, not matchy-match, I'll start with her eye and then come back to the rabble for opinions when I have some options.

Thank you scotweb.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Ecstatic with my new kilt.

Excellent, its always great to read a good review.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

davidg is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AKScott View Post
    The monochrome sett tones to grey. Co-ordinate, contrast, not matchy-match, I'll start with her eye and then come back to the rabble for opinions when I have some options.
    Remember that grey is neutral as far as colours go, as are black and white. That gives you a vast range of options as there is nothing that will actually clash. Some colours may look better than others but nothing will look outrageously wrong so you can't really be a fashion disaster however hard you try

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you look great in the new kilt, whether it was specifically built for you or not, and at a bargain price you cannot beat it. Well done.

I had a similar find of a kilt in a tartan I was desiring, albeit from a lesser known and slightly lesser quality mill and in a slightly lighter weight fabric than optimal, but in the right colorway and with relatively muted colors compared to other mills versions of this tartan colorway. Poking around Scotweb led me to this kilt with the rare find that the measurements were no more than 0.5 inches off in any of the three from what I normally order (and my normal measurements are nowhere near what 99% of normal humans would be). Price was, as above, about half to two thirds what it would have cost to order it new, so I took the plunge. The one hitch was that, after ordering and specifically requesting Royal Mail or ParcelForce surface shipping to the US (cheapest option and best routes to potentially avoid being hit with customs duties) Scotweb gave me a "free" upgrade to FEDEX shipping, which should have been a nice freebie, and was----until I got hit with the roughly $70US customs and handling bill from FEDEX. That practically negated most of the savings I got on the price of the kilt. When recieved it was a great quality kilt, allowing for the lighter weight tartan that was also a bit coarser than most (this particular less popular tartan mill is known for that), and fit essentially perfectly, with all the known quality build features that good kiltmakers are expected to include. Looks good, wears well, straight off the Scotweb clearence rack, and a great fit despite my very uncommon size requirements.

So you can find them, if you check regularly, as AKScott describes above in the OP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a deal, congrats!
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg