X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burns Night Toronto 2013

Hello all,

Does anyone have plans for this year's Burns festivities? I'm leaning towards The Pour House (Dupont & Davenport), who are having an event that looks to involve pipes, poetry, dinner, and a whisky tasting, all for $40. Judging by pictures of years gone by, it will be fairly casual, and based on my experience, that pub generally has good value for their special event dinners.

- Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Looks like a great deal and a nice evening. A bit too far away unfortunately. TO has some terrific options, the hard part might be which one to choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option for those in the Toronto area (already got my tickets) - definitely formal:

"The Robert Burns Club of Toronto, which is affiliated with the Scottish Studies Foundation, is once again joining forces with the Granite Club for our 11th traditional Burns Supper on Friday, January 25, 2013, a rousing action-packed celebration of the birth of Scotland's Bard, Robert Burns.

We promise you an exciting evening of first-class entertainment including the soul-stirring sounds of the pipes and drums of the 48th Highlanders, the inspiring words of Robert Burns, and, of course, the traditional addresses to The Haggis, The Lassies and The Immortal Memory. Our talented vocalists will perform a selection of Burns' most memorable songs and Stefanie, our gifted young fiddler, will bring the music of Burns to life in her own unique style.

The Scottish Studies Foundation is a Canadian charitable organization established to encourage research, both inside and outside universities, in Scottish culture -- history, literature, religion, art, law, and in Scottish migrations to North America; and to publish historical studies and documents relating to Scottish culture and migrations. Our present emphasis is aimed at raising the awareness of the Scottish heritage in Canada through various levels of education including the funding of academic scholarships in Scottish Studies in Canada and Scotland.

The Foundation supports an office at the University of Guelph to handle enquiries regarding the University's Scottish Studies Program and is active in raising funds to obtain additional materials for the University's rare book and manuscript collection."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, JohntheBiker, for posting about that Burns Club/Scottish Studies event. Do you know if any other Xmarkers are going? It looks good, but the event at the Pour House suits my budget better
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BUMP. Any other Toronto-area Xmarkers going to celebrate?
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 tickets and plan on going and likely kilted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muirkirkca View Post
    I have 2 tickets and plan on going and likely kilted.
    Which event?
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to Granite Club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see the Caledonian Pub in Toronto is holding Burn's night celebrations all week next week and as it happens I will be in the city on business next Wednesday night. Perhaps I will pack a kilt and stop in for a couple of pints. I have never been to this spot but heard good things about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlemalt View Post
    I see the Caledonian Pub in Toronto is holding Burn's night celebrations all week next week and as it happens I will be in the city on business next Wednesday night. Perhaps I will pack a kilt and stop in for a couple of pints. I have never been to this spot but heard good things about it.
    The Caledonian is a great spot. A bunch of Xmarkers convened there for Tartan Day/my birthday a couple years ago.

If you can indeed fit it into your business trip, maybe we can have a pre-Burns kilted pub night...
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast