X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Formal Kilts on a budget

Hi all,

I, like many Im sure, nearly had a heart attack when I first started shopping for a formal kilt to wear at Military Balls, weddings, etc. I got lucky and found a place in Shelbyville, Kentuckey called The Scottland Yard (www.scotyard.com) which offers their formal packages on a payment plan, so you can get looking sharp without a huge expense up front. All their products are made in Scottland ans of the best quality.I made a huge impression on my fellow soldiers when I wore mine to a Military Ball over Christmas.
    I hope this information can be or help to someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just curious as to wether any of your fellow soldiers were impressed enough to step into a kilt themselves??

Cheers,
    Blu

BTW...Love the avatar! Is that your own artwork??

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, I've seen their site and have been tempted to consider them for a kilt, I've always considered that a successful business is one that makes it easy to buy from them, in terms of money and service.

BTW Re. "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

I agree in part with that, but God's ultimate proof of His love was in sending Jesus, His Son to the earth.
    Something to ponder...

North Carolina is home, Maryland is just a place I live
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my MacLeod of Harris Modern kilt from them. It did take the full 12 weeks of waiting like they said, but the kilt is well made. Another place that has clothing for a good price is J. Higgins, www.jhiggins.net. I bought a size 48 long Argyll jacket online, off the rack, from them for $195 I believe. Came in four days, and fit perfectly. I also ordered a Prince Charlie with vest for $200 something, came in five days, fit perfectly. I usually have a hard time getting jackets to fit me right off the rack.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blu,
    my Battalion commander was pretty impressed, he mentioned several times that his ancestors were Scottish, so I did a bit of research and gave him all the info on the Clan I could find, I think I am definately moving him in the right direction, albeit slowly. My CSM is also of Scottish blood, and will probably wear the plaid in upcoming events. At the ball, my former Regimental Commander (Retired) Colonel Patton was also in his Highland Dress, including a chest full of medals that would humble a general. I plan on wearing my new Pittsburgh kilt in USMC digital camo on the bus when we go to Annual Training this year, should make more good impressions then as well.

The avatar isn't my artwork, but is a logo of my favorite beer, "Arrogant Bastard Ale".

Graham,
    I follow you 100%.

Also, re: the waiting for the kilt. I had to wait a long time as well, seems the kilt is always the longest to make, but well worth it. Scotland Yard was kind enough to send me a complementary Black Watch to wear to the ball when it became obvious that my MacKintosh tartan wouldnt be ready in time,, thats a class act, and not the kind of service you get in other areas of the clothing industry.

John

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that is real service!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops,
    I forgot to mention it was a Hire Black Watch they sent me no-cost, which I had to return. But still a great effort on their part, there are a lot of clothing makers that wouldnt have done that. The think now is that I liked the look of the Black Watch so well, I want one of those too, for knocking around and hitting the pub. Guess I better start saving for a Bear Kilt in BW.

Hmmmmmmm, maybe the great customer service has something to do with how kilts make things right with the universe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider this site. They have a selection of military tartans that might work well. Not being Scottish I still feel that it wouldn't really be right to pick a clan tartan. I know that tartans like Black Watch are for everyone, but the military ones might offer a nice alternative that actually means something to the wearer.

www.alexismalcolmkilts.bigstep.com/homepage.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chance,
    I have seen that site before, and have talked to Alexis about creating a "Paratrooper" Tartan as well.

I particularly like the Confederate Memorial Tartan,, damn good looking.

A Black Watch is still on thre list, I just love the look of it. Plus, BW is a tartan which is pretty much good to wear by anyone.

John