X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day for Night - Daywear as Eveningwear for a Wedding.

My wife and I just attended a friend's wedding at the Arts & Letters Club here in Toronto. "The Arts and Letters Club of Toronto (usually just called The Arts and Letters Club) is a private club in Toronto, Ontario which brings together writers, architects, musicians, painters, graphic artists, actors, and others working in or with a love of the arts. The club is located in a historic building at 14 Elm Street in downtown Toronto."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2-800x600.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	15030

A tweed jacket seemed very venue appropriate so I decided to wear a recently acquired vintage tweed kilt jacket. I'm not sure who the maker is, as there's no label inside the jacket. It does seem really well made, of pretty decent weight and does have a vintage feel to it. I'm trying to confirm with the original owner how old it actually is. I'll make sure to post a close-up of the pattern too.

Other than the jacket, I'm wearing the following:

-Light blue cotton dress shirt by Frank & Oak.
    -Regimental-style grey wool tie with navy blue stripe from Lands' End.
    -Fair Isle sweater vest that I picked up at a great discounted price from Lands' End.
    -Fishing flies patterned pocket square from H&M.
    -Economy wool Black Watch kilt from Stillwater Kilts.
    -Brown leather sporran and sporran strap also from Stillwater.
    -Heirloom grouse claw kilt pin.
    -Light grey hose with my Bisley "cheater" traditional flashes in ancient/weathered blue.
    -Brown leather brogues/wingtips from Dockers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(32).JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	15034
    Last edited by keith_b; 27th October 13 at 06:12 AM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to keith_b For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you look very sharp. To me, the "Daywear" and "Eveningwear" designations would be better named "Dressy" and "Less dressy."

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to cck For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks CCK. I got quite a few compliments on the ensemble, especially since I was the only kilted guest. Another forum member mentioned this, and I tend to agree...as soon as you show up in a kilt and jacket the non-kilt wearing populous sees it as a suit/tux equivalent, even if you're just wearing a tweed jacket and brown leathers. There was more than one woman who said that what I was wearing looked, "stunning". Hahaha. I might have stolen a bit of thunder from the bride.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmm. I doubt that, but yes, you probably boosted the level of her occasion.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith, we are in agreement. Last week both my wife and I attended high school reunions - the same year but different schools. They were on adjacent days. I did, like you, and wore a tweed jacket with my kilt that evening to the dinner for my class reunion. I was flooded with compliments (mostly from the women.) When I went to my wife's reunion, I decided not to wear the kilt - this was her time to shine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very well turned out sir.
    KILTED LABOWSKI

"I imagine a place of brotherhood and peace, a world without war. Then I imagine attacking that place because they would never expect it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a MacDonald modern kilt that I thought about wearing, but liked the idea of the subdued Black Watch in contrast with the 'loud' jacket.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good to me Keith. Love the jacket and jumper combo - infact that jacket is an absolute corker.
    Steve.

"We, the kilted ones, are ahead of the curve" -
    Bren.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith, you outfit is very well done and you look great. I particularly like the your Fair Isle sweater vest; a very nice, casual touch. I understand what you are saying about "day-wear as evening-wear". The tartan kilt add touch of "dress up" to any outfit. I wore a utility kilt with a polo/golf shirt to a picnic once and several people asked why I was so dressed up.

Also, Keith, thanks for describing (so well) the setting you were in and for providing a list of exactly what you were wearing.

Nile
    Simon Fraser fought as MacShimidh, a Highland chief… wrapped and belted in a plaid over the top of his linen shirt, like his ordinary kinsmen. He put a bonnet on his head, and stuck the Fraser emblem, a sprig of yew, in it. With the battle cry, A'Chaisteal Dhunaidh and the scream of the pipes, they charged to battle. "The Last Highlander" Sara Fraser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the compliment Nile. FYI - Lands End currently has a few Fair Isle sweaters on sale, including the sweater vest I purchased. I'm always up for a good deal.

http://www.landsend.com/shop/search/...?Ntt=fair+isle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast