X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where can I find those buckles?

1 Inch wide double spike, any source ? thanks!
    doppeldorn.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCRichard has been in search of this style for quite a while, if memory serves. It's a lazy morning here so I did some searching. . . Here's the closest I've come, assuming the "eye" measurement is the width of strap it accepts. These folks sell wholesale only so one of the forum vendors would have to be persuaded that there was demand enough.

I'll keep poking around but these are not a common sight.

ETA: these folks have two different models in 1.5 " if you're willing to upsize your straps.
    Last edited by sydnie7; 12th May 14 at 11:50 AM.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the years when repairing military kilts I am often asked to replace the 2-prong buckles due to the damage they do to the straps.
    These buckles often cut right through the straps in a very short time.

I save all the 2 prong buckles I replace. I don't charge for the new buckles thinking that I would make up the difference re-selling the used buckles.

I had another X Marks member who asked for six of these but the deal has never gone through.

Authentic, Black painted Brass, 2-prong military style buckles - $6.45cdn ea. + shipping.

Please send an email to steve@freedomkilts with your full mailing address and phone number. I'll respond with a PayPal invoice.

p.s. dutypiper - The buckle tab in your photo shows the tab installed incorrectly. The tab should fold over the center bar of the buckle with the prongs poking through the tab.
    Like this.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 12th May 14 at 03:33 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello,
    many thanks both! the buckle in my Picture is of an genuine Queens Own Highlanders Drummers Plaid, I didnīt sewn the buckle to the belt!:-) As I said, the buckle post to be 1 Inch wide, the kilt buckles are larger. are the buckles with leather straps?
    many thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutypiper View Post
    hello,
    many thanks both! the buckle in my Picture is of an genuine Queens Own Highlanders Drummers Plaid, I didnīt sewn the buckle to the belt!:-) As I said, the buckle post to be 1 Inch wide, the kilt buckles are larger. are the buckles with leather straps?
    many thanks
    Steve was not saying that you did anything wrong. He just said "the buckle was installed incorrectly". The fact that it is of a genuine QOH drumers plaid is of no bearing to that fact. He was just trying to steer you in the direction of doing it correctly if and when you get the buckle(s) that you are looking for.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to BCAC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, thanks! I believe I did understood Steve right, :-) and I'm trying always to learn, when I can!! and that what Steve says makes sense!!:-)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Over the years when repairing military kilts I am often asked to replace the 2-prong buckles due to the damage they do to the straps.
    These buckles often cut right through the straps in a very short time.
    Interesting! I have a 21-year old ex-military kilt (dated 1993) which appears to have the original straps and buckles, and I don't see any damage to the leather, other than the fact that they're permanently wavy from bending over the 'hump' at the buckle - which happens on regular kilt buckles too. The holes appear to be in good shape, though. I don't see any cutting through. Mine may have seen lighter duty than the ones you see, though. If I may ask, how old are the kilts from which you typically remove these?

These buckles are a bit more difficult to use than a standard civilian buckle, I'll admit. It's a bit of a task to get the strap pulled through and the tongues/spikes into the holes. But they do make the leather lay down much more snug against the kilt! And I think it helps distribute the tension load better in the leather with two tongues instead of just one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice MacKenzie kilt. I have also 6 Regimental Kilts with those buckles without any problems

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you did not see in my photos above were the straps that came off the same kilts as the buckles.

Now, granted, the kilts I usually deal with are issue kilts that are given out to troops with little or no training in how to wear the kilt or how to maintain it.
    They often just strap it on without worrying where the buckles are on the strap. They prongs of the buckles will punch new holes as you can see in the photo.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post: