X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

washing and ironing a casual kilt

I was just wondering if there is a specific way to iron the pleats on the kilt after washing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is a thread you might look at. there are others posted on this forum. also ask rocky as he knows how to care for it. above all use no fabric softner on the kilt.

Washing/drying a Poly kilt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry should have posted this link

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ly-kilt-68338/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I washed it on gentle with no fabric softener and then hung it to dry. I waited until morning and then pressed the pleats with an iron on approx medium heat. I was just wondering if anyone had any tricks for keeping the pleats and edges sharp enough to cut paper.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Sweeney View Post
    I washed it on gentle with no fabric softener and then hung it to dry. I waited until morning and then pressed the pleats with an iron on approx medium heat. I was just wondering if anyone had any tricks for keeping the pleats and edges sharp enough to cut paper.
    When you press your pleats, use a 'clapper' or a clean piece of wood (any wood will do as long as it has NO resin coming out of it - i have even used building lumber, after I wiped it down with a damp cloth to make sure it was clean).
    Using a press cloth, press, lift and press, starting at the bottom of the fell, all the way down the length of the pleats with steam iron, then lay the wood on top of the pleats and press until the fabric starts to cool. The wood will help the steam set the crease in the pleats. I have several different pieces of wood that I use for this purpose ( longer ones will cover the full length of the pleat below the fell, longer ones for pants) as well as the original style of clapper. The original clapper isn't long enough to press down the entire length of the pleats in one attempt.

The pleats won't cut paper but they are sharp.

There is a picture of Barb pressing the pleats with a clapper in thread about Hamish'es 100th kilt - 4th & 5th photos from the top. She is not using a press cloth because she has a telfon coated sole plate on her steam generator. If you have a newer iron, it may have a teflon coating. Test it on a scrap of wool. If the fabric is shiny after pressing, you MUST use a press cloth.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ent-4-a-60505/
    Last edited by Stitchwiz; 24th December 14 at 04:31 PM.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stitchwiz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. I didn't notice if the kilt became shinier after pressing, but I will look for shining next time I press them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick,

Test on the inside, once it is shiny, there is no going back - been there, done it and ruined a beautiful suit many years ago.
    You will see it more prominently where there are multiple layers of fabric and you go over them with the iron.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a subtle difference between pressing and ironing - basically pressing is to put in creases and ironing is intended to remove them.

Always iron on the inside at the lowest temperature that will do the job. You can iron without losing the pressed in pleats in some cases, then when the fabric is no longer wrinkled hold up the kilt and swish the pleats into place then press on the outside with a cloth between the sole of the iron and the pleats.

I have a board which I place under the fold I want to press, with a piece of cotton cloth over it, so that pleats beneath the one I am working on, or seams etc do not mark the fabric. It gives a flat surface to work on, something to pin to and it bounces back the steam from under the pleat making it more effective.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.