X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sqain dubhs at the Tattoo

I'll be participating in the Edinburgh Tattoo this August with the Clan Buchanan as part of the 'Splash of Tartan' theme.
    We have received several emails with instructions from the Brigadier.

There have been many discussions on this forum about wearing weapons including sgian dubhs, over in Scotland. I thought that the official stance of the Tattoo was interesting and certainly understandable.

8. Weapons. There will be no weapons unless you have already made a special arrangements with The Tattoo. There are definitely no sgian dubhs.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tradition of the SD being what it is, and the public environment generally being intolerant of blades of any type, do we keep the look of the SD for the sake of traditional appearance by having a blank in place of the blade? I'm considering this beyond those who choose to wear SBrews and such. Thinking more about a band making the decision for all to wear a bladeless SD to maintain a traditional look. Maybe they do already?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does not surprise me. Better safe than sorry from the Brigadier's point of view, who is taking the view that any reduction of sharp pointy things swanning around in the crowd will assist his blood pressure more than somewhat. Remember too that the UK has had a couple of very recent terrorist events involving knives ending in deaths of the innocent. Also remember, that the Tattoo is held in the centre of the City of Edinburgh, where people and alcohol are there in abundance at the peak of the tourist season. A sad but wise decision in my view.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it kinda funny because I did the tattoo once with the South African police Zulu dancers and they had 7 foot spears....times they are a changing....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 48HofC View Post
    I find it kinda funny because I did the tattoo once with the South African police Zulu dancers and they had 7 foot spears....times they are a changing....
    When you see the troops marching down the royal mile with fixed bayonets, and they have to have a private security guard at the front and back of each section you realise how much things have changed!!!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just looked at some photos of the 2016 Tattoo and there was a sgian in every sock, and dozens of swords and dirks too.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Well I just looked at some photos of the 2016 Tattoo and there was a sgian in every sock, and dozens of swords and dirks too.

Well, Richard

That is just so 2016...

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typical Scottish rules..

This happens a lot now, can't seem to wear one to any organised event without some major hoop jumping.

This is why I end up making more sgian brews as I do sgian dubhs.... people just don't want the hassle of being questioned on the spot.

If you need something for the tattoo I might be able to help out.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I no longer wear a sgian dubh so it's not an issue and whist I get it, it does seem like a further cultural diminuition by the overly cautious. I've just walked up to the NMS from Princes Street and must have seen at least a dozen people kilted and wearing a sgian dubh, including several on the Royal Mile.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    I'll be participating in the Edinburgh Tattoo this August with the Clan Buchanan as part of the 'Splash of Tartan' theme.
    Is this from the email that invited tattoo goes to wear a tartan to the tattoo as you sit and watch it or are you "performing" in the tattoo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast