X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilling in semi traditional kilt

Just today I noticed a small amount of pilling on my semi traditional kilt. It seems to just be around the area where the sporran strap meets the sporran an is not noticeable when the sporran is worn.

My sporran is a hunting type from Margaret Morrison and the strap is the leather sporran strap sold by usa kilts.

Is there something I should be doing to prevent this or is it just something that I need to expect from the synthetic fabric? The pilling is very light so it’s not a huge issue, I just want to nip it in the bud if it indicates something that I might make worse.

Thanks.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point of contact where the sporran strap meets the kilt will get more wear as more weight is carried in the sporran. Piling will be natural to some fabrics. A wool kilt will fray as it is worn down by the strap. Leather will wear the material less than metal chains or clasps.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pilling is very unusual in the semi-trad kilt. I would check carefully for something that may be snagging the fabric.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very curious. On reading this, I went and checked mine to be sure. As I thought, 5 years of wearing it 2-4 times a week have produced no pilling
    whatsoever. Nor is there any in the back where the strap buckle rides (strap is a USA Kilts strap, USA semi traditional kilt). Is it possible the strap
    or sporran might have leather hard enough to carry a sturdy enough edge to pill it? If so, perhaps buffing with a spoon or another piece of leather
    would round it slightly and eliminate the issue.

Of course, Rocky will have a better perspective. Though I have never heard of this happening.

Maybe it's that my Gillises and MacDonalds were residents of Skye, and couldn't afford the pilling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    Pilling is very unusual in the semi-trad kilt. I would check carefully for something that may be snagging the fabric.
    It is only a tiny amount. I only noticed it because I had taken off my sporran and felt some roughness on the front apron in that spot. You can hardly see anything even if you know where to look.

I’m not overly concerned. I was just surprised as the strap is pretty soft leather. Maybe there’s a rough spot somewhere in the back of the sporran I haven’t noticed? I will have to check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

photos

This is what I noticed on my kilt apron. Not very big.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4262.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	32785

Name:	IMG_4263.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	32786

Here is where the sporran rests on it when worn.

Name:	IMG_4264.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	32787

It seems to correlate pretty closely with the pilling spots.

Name:	IMG_4267.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	32788

Here is the back of the strap. Maybe it's too rough? But the leather is pretty supple.

Name:	IMG_4268.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	32789

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes these nubs / piling in the area of the sporran can be caused by items we wear on our hands and wrists .... rings , wristwatches , bracelets .

While putting on the sporran or adjusting the sporran during wear or using the sporran .... these items can accidentally snag or rub the fabric in that general area without one realizing it .

Cheers , Mike
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello Fossilhunter. Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread. If I might ask a couple questions:

How old is the kilt?

Have you used detergent with Fabric Softener in it?

If the answers are "under a year" and "no", then it's a bit of a mystery to me. Though the mill uses a Teflon coating which also has "anti pill fibre technology" properties which decreases the likelihood of pills on the cloth, over time and through dozens of washings, the coating eventually comes off of the cloth and the pills do start to happen as it IS synthetic material. Pilling happens to EVERY type of garment made from Poly, Rayon, Acrylic, etc... some sooner, some later.

I personally have a couple PV kilts that we made 10+ years ago and they do have some pilling, but it didn't show up for several years of somewhat regular wear. The PV we use is the best we can find in the world, but it still is synthetic and will eventually start to pill.

All that being said, the sporran chain might prove a better idea for your kilt than the strap. The strap, being cut square, can rub over time. The sporran chain, having a flat link with welded joins (with no burrs), might be a bit easier on the kilt.

Just my $.02

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR View Post
    Hello Fossilhunter. Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread. If I might ask a couple questions:

How old is the kilt?

Have you used detergent with Fabric Softener in it?

If the answers are "under a year" and "no", then it's a bit of a mystery to me. Though the mill uses a Teflon coating which also has "anti pill fibre technology" properties which decreases the likelihood of pills on the cloth, over time and through dozens of washings, the coating eventually comes off of the cloth and the pills do start to happen as it IS synthetic material. Pilling happens to EVERY type of garment made from Poly, Rayon, Acrylic, etc... some sooner, some later.

I personally have a couple PV kilts that we made 10+ years ago and they do have some pilling, but it didn't show up for several years of somewhat regular wear. The PV we use is the best we can find in the world, but it still is synthetic and will eventually start to pill.

All that being said, the sporran chain might prove a better idea for your kilt than the strap. The strap, being cut square, can rub over time. The sporran chain, having a flat link with welded joins (with no burrs), might be a bit easier on the kilt.

Just my $.02
    Thank you for the reply. I’ve had the kilt since April 2017 and it has never been washed. I wear it between once and twice a week.

I can try the chain and see if that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    If so, perhaps buffing with a spoon or another piece of leather
    would round it slightly and eliminate the issue.
    Could you describe this spoon buffing? I think I will try that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast