X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Did You Select Your First Kilt?

Over this weekend I've given some very serious thought as to what I want my first kilt to be. I definitely want the black 5.11 tactical kilt, and I have seen a couple of other tactical kilts that I would like, but beyond that I am wondering what my first non-tactical killed should be? Specifically I'm wondering what tartan I should choose considering that I am not Scottish or of Scottish descent?
    I definitely want the United States Navy tartan and the United States Army tartan as I have served in both services. I do like the Black Watch tartan and if I am correct it is considered to be a universal tartan so I think I would be safe in choosing that one as well.
    I am a fan of Laphroaig single malt, and I know that the Laphroaig distillery is on the Isle of Islay in Argyll Scotland. I guess my question is, is being a fan of that particular single malt a good enough reason or an appropriate reason to buy a kilt of the Argyll tartan. To further complicate matters, if I know what I am looking at as I read, there are several different patterns of Argyll Tartan. I guess I have more research to do.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor wretched souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
    "Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bluethunder90 For This Useful Post: