X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Met?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might help Jock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_fellow_well_met

Also if you are a fan of Dad's Army you might remember the episode when Captain Mainwaring's twin brother turns up in town - he uses that very phrase.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McClef For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ill met

Does someone in "Midsummer Night's Dream" say "Ill met by moonlight, proud Titania"?, implying that he was not happy to meet her. "Well met" would imply the opposite - i.e. happy to meet you.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltedjohn View Post
    Does someone in "Midsummer Night's Dream" say "Ill met by moonlight, proud Titania"?, implying that he was not happy to meet her. "Well met" would imply the opposite - i.e. happy to meet you.
    I have no real idea of the Shakespearian connection as I tried to avoid all that when I was at school! I can connect that sort of language with the era though. There is a film "Ill met by moonlight", based on fact, where "our lot" on Crete, put a German General in the bag during WW2.

Somehow, just greeting someone with "well met' and nothing more, does seem a tad odd to my ears. I would not like to imply that it is rude or anything, but it does sound rather a curt greeting to my British ears. It appears that is not the case and that is good, so perhaps its a trans-Atlantic economy of words type thing?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 4th June 15 at 10:07 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While “Well met” is not an expression I use much (and I doubt that I have used it at X Marks), I have heard it, and have always associated it with Britain.
    Since it is archaic, perhaps that is why you find it strange, Jock. But it certainly came to this country from the UK.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Oettle View Post
    While “Well met” is not an expression I use much (and I doubt that I have used it at X Marks), I have heard it, and have always associated it with Britain.
    Since it is archaic, perhaps that is why you find it strange, Jock. But it certainly came to this country from the UK.
    Regards,
    Mike
    Oh, I would not be the least bit surprised that "well met" or variations of it originated in the UK. However, just to write or say "well met" is not a usual greeting in the UK, these days. "How do you do?", "How are you?", "Nice to meet you." "Long time no see!" How are you doing?"would be a fairly usual verbal greeting here. Written greetings certainly would not be "well met" full stop! To be absolutely clear here, I am not criticising in any way, just wondering and learning.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this thread, Jock. I've learned a lot. I'd never heard the expression except on XMTS, didn't know what it meant, but had assumed by its context that it was a friendly greeting.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen this quite a bit but almost almost always in written form. The only time I have ever heard it used orally was at a Ren Faire.

A quick google search search revealed - "The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) gives a 1589 quotation for this phrase as a friendly greeting."

On this side of the pond, or outside of X Marks, I have seen it about two or three times a year. While until Jock posted I had never seen "Outwith" before. I now find that Outwith is a uniquely Scottish word so perhaps that is why.

Both sound archaic to my ears and I use neither in my common everyday speech.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, everyone. Incidentally, I grew up hearing "outwith" regular usage and use it myself in everyday speech.
    Ryan

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Have only encountered, "well met" on this forum, despite being "only" 700+ miles from Mississippi.

Spouse's family originating in Virginia and Tennessee, some unique, unfamiliar bits of Spoken Southern" have been heard over the decades, which required translation.

Gentle e-colleagues, be assured, despite proximity to the largest city on the southernmost North American freshwater inland sea, the following common local-colloqial greetings will not be used on this forum:

"Sup, foo?"

"Aaay, hahyah 'dooon?"
    Last edited by James Hood; 5th June 15 at 01:35 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to James Hood For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domehead View Post
    Interesting, everyone. Incidentally, I grew up hearing "outwith" regular usage and use it myself in everyday speech.
    Ryan
    There is a term still used by my family, it being, "fort-wit". It means right away. I'm sure it is derived from "forth with."

Another term that baffles many non relatives is, "toot-sweet." That also means right away. I can only guess it began as, "to (short for toward) swift."

The first phrase in context, is soon rather than later, the second requires running.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast