X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Met?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Met?

I notice that quite often the expression, "Well met" is used here. It is not an expression that I am familiar with and in fact, I don't think its used in the UK. I can see its a form of friendly greeting, but to me, it does not altogether make sense. Can anyone explain more about it, please?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I notice that quite often the expression, "Well met" is used here. It is not an expression that I am familiar with and in fact, I don't think its used in the UK. I can see its a form of friendly greeting, but to me, it does not altogether make sense. Can anyone explain more about it, please?
    Archaic English spoken by...must be those Canadians.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jack Daw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the greeting in all my introductions of new members here on the forum. As Jack has pointed out, it is archaic. It is a substitute for the formal letters of introduction that were written to accompany apprentices or indentured servants when they arrived to their new homes, businesses or even social contacts in other places.
    The letters would usually be written by someone known to the person receiving the letter or by someone of social standing that vouched for the letter bearer. I like the flair of the greeting. Since there is a decorum of civility among us here, I find it fitting. Think of it as a letter of recommendation. I am sure there are Canadians involved as well as Southern US gentmen of culture.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 4th June 15 at 04:21 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
    Sorry! As a Canadian I am always well met ....but have never used those two words together before this post.

Although as I was preparing to post this I was reminded of some phrase containing those words. A quick Google search led me to "Hail fellow well met." Apparently Somerset Maugham used the phrase frequently in his writings. Here is the link for those who are interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_fellow_well_met
    Last edited by plaid preacher; 4th June 15 at 05:52 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading the Wikipedia synopsis of the phrase (some of which I vaguely recall from literature) I will still use the phrase. I never intend to be "snarky" with these words, I offer mine in sincerity.

I often use the salutation, Good Folks, when I write letters. It is too informal for business but I intend to lend a sense of quaintness in some correspondence. I expect I'm viewed as a "country bumpkin" by some, but what interesting adventures an expanded vocabulary can give when used. Hence, the subject/question of this thread.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I use the greeting in all my introductions of new members here on the forum. As Jack has pointed out, it is archaic. It is a substitute for the formal letters of introduction that were written to accompany apprentices or indentured servants when they arrived to their new homes, businesses or even social contacts in other places.
    The letters would usually be written by someone known to the person receiving the letter or by someone of social standing that vouched for the letter bearer. I like the flair of the greeting. Since there is a decorum of civility among us here, I find it fitting. Think of it as a letter of recommendation. I am sure there are Canadians involved as well as Southern US gentmen of culture.
    So - wait? Are you saying you consider us all your servants????

JUST KIDDING!!!

Although, being in Mississippi, perhaps you could modify the greeting slightly - for example,

"Hail State! Well Met"????

Again, I kid! I Kid!!!

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to TomFromBama For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
    Not it by this one...I too have only encountered it here...
    Cheers!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking on about this, I am aware of the "Hail fellow, well met" greeting that is not used much(at all?) these days this side of the pond. Is this "well met" greeting just a shortened version? From what I have seen and read on this website that does not appear the context by which its meant though?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Jock, that it's "descended" from that phrase.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The observations of Jock Scot and TomFromBama are great. I do not place myself above anyone and expect the same in return. I have respect for people I first meet, because I see an opportunity to learn and welcome the encounters.

I assure all here, my motives are in gregarious greeting alone.

For Tom, the SEC school issue is better resolved by younger men on the gridiron. What you typed was funny though, but I am from NC after all.

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast