X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: State Tartans

Semiomniscient is offline Membership voided at member request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have it now, here's an actual photo:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be really interested in a New York State tartan... if one existed!

Still waiting for a talented tartan designer* to remedy the situation...

* I'm not...!
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Texas Bluebonnet Tartan
    Uilleam 'Wolfhawk' Kerr
    (William 'Hawk' Bennett)
    Queen's Own Highlanders * Queen's Royal Highlander Guards * The Order of Culloden Moor
    Na Fir Dileas * IBRSC #1654 * RMG #921 * Assassin Guild * RenRat Nation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

The Texas Bluebonnet is next on my list.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are interested in a state Tartan, be sure to check out the Saint Andrews society for that state. From my own experience; the Maine Tartan has been copy righted and you can only purchase it through one person for a extremely high price and they want to know what you are making with it (in case you want to sell it, because they could get involved in that since it is "Their" tartan)
    Saint Andrews Society of Maine had a close match woven which they call "The Maine Dirigo tartan" I bought 4 yards of it without being a member to make a kilt for my boyfriend who is in a Maine fiddler band. the price was $50 a yard. Never hurts to ask.
    Humor, is chaos; remembered in tranquillity- James Thurber

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Tess View Post
    If you are interested in a state Tartan, be sure to check out the Saint Andrews society for that state. From my own experience; the Maine Tartan has been copy righted and you can only purchase it through one person for a extremely high price and they want to know what you are making with it (in case you want to sell it, because they could get involved in that since it is "Their" tartan)
    Saint Andrews Society of Maine had a close match woven which they call "The Maine Dirigo tartan" I bought 4 yards of it without being a member to make a kilt for my boyfriend who is in a Maine fiddler band. the price was $50 a yard. Never hurts to ask.
    Matt has an informative blog article about the Maine tartan dispute:

http://kiltmaker.blogspot.com/2007/0...te-tartan.html

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey@Arms View Post
    I'd like to get a kilt in this tartan one day. Wish it was available in PV from USA Kilts. More info on the California tartan...
    According to the Marton Mills website, MM makes the California tartan in 16 oz. cloth. See here: http://www.martonmills.com/range/view/20
    Regards, Bill McCaughtry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the proposed Michigan Tartan (shown on the bias) from a website advocating for its acceptance at our state government. Following this are some Michigan-minded designs I've been working on. The proposed tartan is a well and good, but as someone who grew up on a farm in Michigan, I think it lacks a bit of 'earthiness' and no representation of our autum season or snow.

Proposed:

My design 1:

My Design 2:

[I][B]Ad fontes[/B][/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vaguely remember this coming up in the discussions when the CT state tartan was accepted by the state. Aren't there historical conventions for the various colors? I seem to remember white stripes signifying Christianity & yellow stripes signifying some connection to the British crown, both those colors are used in the CT tartan although for different reasons. When designing a state or pther special interest tartans, I understand wanting to get representative colors, but should the "old" rules still carry weight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFS1970 View Post
    I vaguely remember this coming up in the discussions when the CT state tartan was accepted by the state. Aren't there historical conventions for the various colors? I seem to remember white stripes signifying Christianity & yellow stripes signifying some connection to the British crown, both those colors are used in the CT tartan although for different reasons. When designing a state or pther special interest tartans, I understand wanting to get representative colors, but should the "old" rules still carry weight?
    I'm a bit of a knock-about symbologist and actually--there are no hard and fast, agreed to 'rules' for the symbolism of colors used in creation of tartans. There may be conventions used by some or borrowed from other arts, but these are also very open to interpretation. I've designed a few tartans using one form of color represenatation or another and even have a tartan designed with similar meanings yet in completely different colors.

Examples: You list White and Yellow as two different colors with unique representations. Yes, white can mean Christianity to some, but it can also represent service, purity, holiness, sacrifice, virginity, wisom and death. Just to name a few interpretations here.

Yellow can represent enligtenment, wealth, holines, power, divinity, selflessness, cowardice, death, insight, the direction of East etc.

Depending on comparisons of the lexicons used, different colors can have the same and yet completely different meanings. One must first I guess, decide on the languge to be used in interpreting the meanings given colors. One would have very differnet meanings dependent upon which framework the colors are being interpreted. One example may be, an individual involved in using the vocabulary of heraldry would come up with a completely different meaning to color usage as someone using any religio-spiritual interpretation of these.
    [I][B]Ad fontes[/B][/I]

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast