X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

California State Tartan...other USA Tartans?

Some interesting information about the California State Tartan can be found at thelinks below.

http://www.sierraclub.org/john_muir_...xhibit/tartan/

http://www.tartanplaid.com/Saint/acatartansaint.htm

The tartan cloth (and some products) are available here:

http://www.thecaliforniatartan.com/

some of the links/graphics on that page have some little problems, so i thought I'd point readers to the weaver in Southern California, which is here:

http://www.bonbrightwoolens.com/

If you ask me, that's a handsome looking Tartan. The fact that it honors John Muir, a truly legendary Scotsmen that has had a tremendous effect on the history of the American West just makes it appeal to me all the more. John Muir is one of my heroes and an absolute giant in preserving the natural history of all of the American West, especially California.

Notice that the tartan, as stated many time in these web pages, is available to ALL Californians, regardless of national heritage. You don't have to look back in your ancestry to find a renegade Scotsman (aren't they ALL renegades?) to be entitled to wear this tartan.

I think that's great.

Do other States have tartans? How about districts or countries, like perhaps New Zealand? It might be worth a look to see if the area where you live has it's own tartan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick perusal of the link here:

http://www.kiltiebears.com/tartanbonbright.html

Reveals a number of USA tartans...here's what I noticed, just scanning the list quickly.

Confederate States commemorative (for you southern celt rebels!)

Georgia District...USA Bicentennial...US Navy...US Marine Corps...Texas Blue Bonnets...South Carolina District....NOrth Carolina District....Rotary Internationl (???)...

Though I don't know if these are registered tartans or not. Very nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado

Son of a gun, Colorado has a tartan, too. It's a nice one....

http://www.shgresources.com/co/symbols/tartan/

So, USA citizens, might be worth a search, eh?

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know that PA has a tartan (we're making kilts for a pipe band in it). It's not the MOST attractive tartan in my mind, but it's not bad.

The confederate tartan is (I hate to say it) pretty damn nice. "Mike n NC" has some pics of it in his gallery.

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Carolina was the first state to have an official tartan.

And it's beautiful!

I want a kilt. Nobody I know of carries the tartan.

Humbug.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget my "vertical Arizona tartan" kilt that Jeff made for me at Pittsburgh Kilts...state flag colors...real wide stripe

Pics in my gallery

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

State Tartans...

If it's an "official" state tartan, then it has usually been recognised through the state legislature, or through a proclamation. Louisiana and Arkansas have very nice tartans, and books like "World Tartans" and "District Tartans" have information about the states that have their own tartans. Tulsa is one of the few cities in the US to have a tartan. And all four branches of the military, plus police, fire and the FBI have tartans -- just too many too list here! :mrgreen:

South Carolina was the first state to have an official tartan.
    Actually, Doc, I believe that honour goes to Maine. Their tartan was designed in 1964. The "Carolina" tartan (for both North and South Carolina, since they were one colony at on point), was designed in 1981. This comes from "District Tartans" by Teal and Smith -- an excellent addition to any tartan scholar's library, but it can be pricey.

Finally, there is a very nice US National Tartan, the US/St. Andrew's Tartan in -- what else? -- red, white and blue!

Cheers,

T.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

State Tartans...

Further my post on state tartans:

This web page has a sub-page devoted to the US state tartans:

http://www.geocities.com/mayosligo/

Click on "my celtic links" on the left, and you will see the link to the US State Tartans page.

Someone asked about New Zealand -- I don't believe there is a New Zealand tartan, but I do believe the city of Dunedin (Edinburgh in the Gaelic) in NZ may "share" a tartan with Dunedin in Florida. "World Tartans" by Zacaek (real Scottish name there!) has quite a few tartans from the US, Canada, the Commonwealth and other nations (Argentina, for instnace).

Cheers,

T.

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to reread then. Scottish heritage in South Carolina is strong.

Hmm 1663... The tartan is associated with King Charles the II who granted the land that resulted in the Carolina Colony. Ah, I see. It was "officially" registered with United Kingdom Design Registry in 1981. So it was what, Over 200 years old and well established as a tartan... And nobody got around to registering it. Damn bloody lazy Southerners... Even back then. Sheesh. Even after registering it in 1981... It was finally billed as the Carolina Tartan in 2002. Oh my GOSH that's some damn lazy people. So nearly 300 years later I get around to making sure it's legit. **Skulks**

Ok, so it's the oldest American tartan, it was not the first officially registered tartan. My mistake. It's even older then most Canadian province tartans. Still impressive.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stumbled across a Minnesota tartan while surfing tonight.

http://www.shetlandpiper.com/Tartan/...ta_tartan.html

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast