X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brother in Law of the Bride...

With excitement I anticipate my first wedding that I can attend kilted. The only thing that I'm concerned about is that it will be outdoor and fairly casual. It is also in a week and a half. I'm trying to figure out the best way to outfit appropriately. I will most likely be the only kilted individual. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Plus this gives me an excuse to pick up some more accessories!

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tell us what you have?
    what will others be wearing?
    when you say casual, not jeans and t-shirt is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Others will probably be in ties, but no jackets, with slacks. Women in dresses.

I have two tartans, one green and red, one black and red, both Menzies sett. I own 2 day sporrans and a semi-dress sporran. Light (lighter then bottle) Green hose and that's about it.

Thanks, I should have included that earlier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion may be over simplistic - "wear what you will." My understanding is that you're not in the wedding party so just look nice. Avoid T-shirts and spruce yourself up a bit past everyday wear, perhaps a nice sweater, off white? If it's just a casual wedding you'll not have to be wearing all the bells and whistles.

Cheers,
    T.R. Matthews

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wore a kilt to my brother-in-law's wedding this past fall. My wife and daughter were in the wedding party, but I was not. I was the only one kilted. Here's what I wore:

My kilt (duh), lovat green hose, niec shoes, but not formal, a hair sporran (it's a less dressy version than you typically see in parades), a tartan vest to match my kilt, a white dress shirt, and a solid color tie to match my kilt and vest. I had a brown Harris Tweed jacket (cut down to wear with the kilt) that I left off for most of the time, because it was rather warm.
    http://albanach.org/family/wj2.JPG

Most people are not going to have a tartan vest to match their kilt, but you can wear another vest if it goes well with the tartan, or no vest at all. I'd suggest a dress shirt and tie, semi-dress sporran, and if you wear a jacket have it be a day-jacket (not black).

Aye,
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoduck
    Others will probably be in ties, but no jackets, with slacks. Women in dresses.

I have two tartans, one green and red, one black and red, both Menzies sett. I own 2 day sporrans and a semi-dress sporran. Light (lighter then bottle) Green hose and that's about it.

Thanks, I should have included that earlier.
    If it was me I would wear a black leather sporran, dark kilt(black watch for me)kilt belt(black) white shirt and black or dark tie.black shoes.off white kilt sox.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "a hair sporran (it's a less dressy version than you typically see in parades), "

I thought that if you werent in a pipe band then you shouldn't wear a hair sporran. I've always wanted one cuz I thought they look awesome but everyone always said that they weren't to be worn by the general public. What's the deal? If there is no such rule I'm gonna go shopping!!!!!

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hair sporrans are not normally worn outside of pipeing / military.

why not try a "Jacobite" shirt ? although they were NOT worn by jacobites, they do look pretty cool!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    "a hair sporran (it's a less dressy version than you typically see in parades), "

I thought that if you werent in a pipe band then you shouldn't wear a hair sporran. I've always wanted one cuz I thought they look awesome but everyone always said that they weren't to be worn by the general public. What's the deal? If there is no such rule I'm gonna go shopping!!!!!
    Matt is the only person I know, other than people in a pipe band, who wears a hair sporran. If it were anyone else, I'd say it looks weird... but Matt is so tall and kind of distinguished-looking, he seems able to carry it off. I wouldn't recommend it to my customers looking for advice, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by "phil h
    If it was me I would wear a black leather sporran, dark kilt(black watch for me)kilt belt(black) white shirt and black or dark tie.black shoes.off white kilt sox.
    Sounds spot on to me, Phil.
    [B]Paul Murray[/B]
    Kilted in Detroit! Now that's tough.... LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast