X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selecting another kilt, long, need help

Let me try this agian, and I genuinly would appreciate your thoughts.

I am new to wearing the kilt, but I do like it and would like to wear one more often. This is where the trouble begins. I have a custom 8 yard that I have and wear for weddings, dinners etc. While I have worn it to the office, it is not a good subsitute for khakis. And, it is definantly to much for ballgames or outdoor outings with my kids. So, I need, ok I want, another kilt or two for dailey wear. Then I start to look.
    I am not fond of the solids, just think it is less a kilt and more an alternative to a kilt, most likely reflects the impressions that have been made on me by the few Scots I know. Certainly not an indictment to anyone who owns or wears on, just my personal taste.
    I am not opposed to different materials, so long as they look good and hold up. I don't iron my own pants or shirts anymore, but would be more careful with a kilt.
    There are some great buys for off the rack klits in wool & mixed fibres. But, they are all 24-25 inch drop. I am not tall enough to wear more than 22 and look better in 21. We have discussed some of the kiltmakers that make a 4-5 yard casual in wool and they are as reasonable as the custom length casuals in PV or mixed fibre.
    I have seen a couple of really good buys on second hand stuff on ebay, just don't want to wait another year hoping someone my size pops up. I have seen some decent stuff as ex hire/rental. But apparantly those guys are not vertically challanged either.
    So, where do I find this elusive daily wear kilt? And please be specific. Take a shot with some of the casuals that have gotten good review and claim its a fashion statement wearing them below the knee? Bust out for a wool 5 yard and still be afraid to wear it a smuch as I would like?
    Feel free to post, pm or email me. Your thoughts are appreciated, as you can see I am a bit confused.
    David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David, first, a poly viscose kilt is a good choice, easy care. I have a USA Kilts semi traditional that I like a great deal and wear frequently. Even less expensive is Stillwater Kilts. Granted the length is more than you want, but they can be hemed up. If you don't sew yourself you can have it done for you. Even their heavy weight, which I understand is similar to 13 ounce wool, is light enough for a hem. If you don't know a seamstress ask at a dry cleaner since they often have things repaired they'll know who does good work and it shouldn't cost that much.

Doc Hudson is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt equivalent of khaki pants

David,

There ain't no such animule!

Let's face it, there are no good quality kilts that can be had for the $40-60.00 of a pair of khaki pants.

There are some great buys out there, but we are still talking about kilts that cost significantly more than trousers.

I too prefer tartan to solids, but the are some great values around, and I've yet to have my Pittsburgh Kilt mistaken for anything but a kilt. And it even comes in khaki and saddle tan.

On the low end, you could get a Stillwater and hem it to proper length. But if you or your wife don't sew, that can run the price up significantly. And tartan choice is rather limited.

In the middle-range, you have kilts from USA Kilts in a variety of tartans, and several styles ranging from casual, to Semi-Traditional, to their Premier Grade.

If you haven't looked, I strongly urge you to check out Pittsburgh Kilt's website and discuss options with Jeff.

BTW, a 4 or 5 yard casual kilt in wool is not a heck of a lot cheaper than an 8 yard tank. You really should consider some different fabric options.

And another plus side for the solid kilts, you won't feel as constrained to "Protect" them rather than wear and enjoy them as you would a $400.00+ wool kilt. For example, I don't think even the most dyed-in-wool kiltwearers would want to cut the grass wearing a custom tank in 13-16 ounce wool, but most folks wouldn't think twice about it wearing a Utilikilt, Pittsburgh Kilt, or and AmeriKilt solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than have everyone guessing, I'll clarify. Kilt Store with discount on a casual is about $215 and shipping. Ebay junk is $40. I have no problem spending more than junk price, but if it approaches $200, I'm going wool and continuing to wear shorts to the ball field.
    Thanks again
    David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are good quality tartan kilts starting around $100.00 ($110.00 for a USA Kilt - $130.00 for a Bear Kilt if you don't mind a long wait).

I like the Utilikilts because they are so versatile. I wouldn't wear my Bear kilt while doing dirty chores around the house (I like having the hammer, screwdrivers, carpentry pencil, and other tools right on the kilt).

Kilts are more expensive than trousers, but they don't have the stress points that trousers have (crotch and knees), and with reasonable care, should last for many years.

Shorts just don't provide the same level of comfort that kilts do. It's that inseam.

We men finally live in an ocean of choices when it comes to what we can wear.

Wear what you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thornton
    Rather than have everyone guessing, I'll clarify. Kilt Store with discount on a casual is about $215 and shipping. Ebay junk is $40. I have no problem spending more than junk price, but if it approaches $200, I'm going wool and continuing to wear shorts to the ball field.
    Thanks again
    David
    Not an endorsement as I have never seen one in person, but USA kilts start at $110 and you specify the length.

As for spending $200+. You will spend that much and more for pants that wear out over time, just instead of $30 here and $30 there it all comes at once. My oldest UK still looks great and it is nearly 4 years old. I've never had a pair of pants last that long (that has had as much wear as any of my UKs).

Also don't necessicarily give up on solids, just find one that looks right to you. I personally prefer the UK because of the pockets, but they are the least "traditional" looking of the lot. Buzz Kidder kilts (been a while since I've seen one) are basically a traditional kilt made of non traditional material. I agree that if you have to have a tartan, the PV makes a good material that is really hard to tell from wool.

Adam
    (BTW, where in KY? I'm in Covington, and I could show you some of my kilts from various manufacturers if you have never seen them in person).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Adam, that would be most helpful. I am in Lexington.
    I missed the do in Glasgow, had to be in Mexico. Missed Carrolton, family obligations.
    Any other events coming up?
    David