X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Washing Flashes....?

Nope, didn't get them dirty....yet...wasn't in the mud at Gatlinburg...

Just noticed that my wool flashes seem to have a firm "body" to them and that they often sort of stick out like Dagwood Bumstead's hair.

Was wondering if it would help if I hand washed them in Woolite if they might hang more naturally.

Waste of time? Helpful? Experienced advice appreciated.

Guess I could risk it with one set and see.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I too would like to know as the pair I wore to G'Burg did get a little muddy, but they seem to be stiffened by something and I am afraid if it is cardboard or something similar.
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are your flashes made from wool? When did they start to do this? My wool flashes have never done this. From what you describe, the woolite idea might work though.

I have a pair of cheapie flashes I made myself from underwear elastic and grosgrain that curled out a bit after a while. I just ironed them flat (carefully) with a steam setting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try steaming them with an iron first.

Fabric often comes with a sizing or starch on it and it sounds like it may be the case with your flashes. Woolite would soften, but if the edges aren't finished, you may end up unravelling (or worse, shrinking) them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, same wool as the kilt. They're sewn together on the back side and sewn in a loop on top that the elastic goes through.

I wear them where my calf thins down just below my knee so they kind of follow the same angle as my skin instead of hanging down.

Ron
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron,

Some manufacturers of flashes add a stiffening material at the back, whilst others do not. I would not try washing them - in all my 56 years of kilt wearing I have never washed, nor even thought to wash, any flashes; it's just not been necessary.

Woolite? I have sen this mentioned many times in posts here, but as far as I know it is not sold here in the United Kingdom, so I know nothing about it. I personally never wash wool unless absolutely necessary - the exception being kilt hose which I always wash by hand, adding a little fabric conditioner to the final rinse.

As has been recommended, a steam iron works well for me.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ham,

So, do you ever have a problem with your wool flashes (without stiffener or backing) sort of sticking out like they were repelled from your leg by static electricity or something...instead of hanging naturally....?

Ron

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt
    Thanks Ham,

So, do you ever have a problem with your wool flashes (without stiffener or backing) sort of sticking out like they were repelled from your leg by static electricity or something...instead of hanging naturally....?

Ron
    No never, Ron. In fact, I much prefer the 'floppy', un-stiffened flashes as they look so much more natural than the rigid 'tabs' variety. They hang quite naturally I find, and occasionally they flap about in the wind but they invariably fall back into place - I never seem to be worried or bothered by their behaviour!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, maybe its the low humidity out here in the desert....I could just mist them.

Ron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what did you finally do to your flashes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast