X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taken by sloppy kiltmaker

I ordered an 8-yd saffron kilt from an ex-Irish Ranger in Northern Ireland ...
    Well, after a month delay added to the original production time, it turns up today. The top of the pleats are not sewn, just like on a stillwater kilt, and the lining starts 4" from the waistband! Worse still, the straps are several inches too low so that it doesn't tighten properly around my waist, and pulls at my hips. I paid enough to have a proper job done. I was planning on wearing it to the Ligonier Games on Sunday ... not only can I not do that, I fear I may be out major bucks. Can anybody recommend a good support group for victims of sloppy kiltmaking??

By the way, the fabric is from Marton Mills and is beautiful - which makes me feel even worse that I can't wear it. Sigh!

Mark - Ohio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds awful, hopefully you can find somebody to fix it. Sewing down the fell should be relatively easy, as would be moving the straps. The lining on the other hand sounds weird. Is it just canvassed or is it the actual lining that should be over the canvas. O'Neille

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a shame. It's even more upsetting because the circle of kilt consumers is a relatively small but discriminating group...the kilt is such a simple garment on a basic level and it achieves its "magic" through the use of good material and good craftsmanship. Sounds like you got the material but not the craftsmanship. I hope that someone can rescue your Saffron.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not look into ordering the Irish National or Saffron ffom Stillwater for the games.

Check with Matt, Barb, or Robert MacDonald (www.westcoastkilts.com) to see if the kilt can be repaired.

How did you originally find the kiltmaker?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O'Neille:

I'm talking about the actual black cotton lining over the canvas ... the canvas is pretty far down too. Now that I poke around under there, it doesn't look as if the excess fabric from the pleats has been cut away.

Colin:

I've purchased several accessories (flashes, balmorals, etc) from this particular person, all made at his home, and all of very good quality. I guess I liked the idea of an ex-Ranger making my kilt in Northern Ireland (where my family originates) so much that I didn't even consider that he didn't know what he was doing.

As for Irish National, I wouldn't be caught dead in it! I believe Stillwater's saffron is a saffron coloured shadow tartan, rather than a solid saffron - anyway, I prefer a proper wool kilt.

I have a few people who could do the repairs, but I will ask the folks at the website you provided to see how much they charge. It's just the added frustration and cost, you know? I could've ordered one from the Kilt Store for slightly less than I paid this guy, and it would've been perfect.

Mark - Ohio

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orangehaggis

... I believe Stillwater's saffron is a saffron coloured shadow tartan, rather than a solid saffron
    You are right, the Saffron is a Shadow Tartan. The pattern is only visable in certain lights, which makes it very cool .

anyway, I prefer a proper wool kilt.
    The saffron is a Stillwater Heavyweight, it's a wool kilt

Cheers
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few people who could do the repairs, but I will ask the folks at the website you provided to see how much they charge. It's just the added frustration and cost, you know? I could've ordered one from the Kilt Store for slightly less than I paid this guy, and it would've been perfect.
    Hopefully it can be fixed. I guess it's the risk we all take dealing on the internet. Good luck.

Kilted KT is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you get it fixed right, and soon!

as for the support group you seek, you have already found it!

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Newsome's posted info on alterations:
    http://kilts.albanach.org/alterations.html

He is in North Carolina, USA, by the way.

We KNOW his craftsmanship is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH
    I'm not clear about your communication with the kilt maker. Since you have purchased other goods from him, you are a return customer. I'd suggest you contact him and share your surprise and displeasure with him. It sounds like you know a good kilt when you see one, perhaps he will offer some satisfaction in the end. If not - you are in the unfortunate position of deciding if the kilt is worth amore expense to fix it or if this is one very expensive life lesson - but I bet you knew that part already.

You have my sympathy for your unfortunate and costly situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast