X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friday Night out and about

About a month ago the Bride and I received a Wedding Reception from one of our "adopted daughters"-she's my youngest daughter's best friend and took to calling us "Mom & Dad". When we got the invite I told the Bride that I would be going kilted that night. Thursday we got a call from the Bride to ask if we were also coming to the wedding. When Mom told her that we hadn't really planned on it Jamie sounded a little disappointed. I explained to Jamie that we wouldn't think to invite ourselve to the ceremony when we just had an invite to the reception. She asked that we look in the envelope because she was certain that she had included an invitation to the wedding also. Sure enough, tucked down in the corner of the envelope was the other invite. As a parting comment, Jamie said not to dress up because the event was being held outside and she wanted everyone to be comfortable. I mentioned that I was planning on wearing my kilt and she replied "Cool, I'm trying to talk BJ (the Groom) into getting a kilt.

So Friday night was Kilt night for me-Stone colored shirt, Cameron Modern kilt and tartan tie, bottle green kilt hose w/red flashes and ghillie broughs. We arrived early and my wife was approched by a couple of ladies that told her how great it was that I was kilted. One of their husbands came up to me between the ceremony and the reception and we talked shop about how comfy the kilt was to wear, the tartan I was wearing (13 oz Cameron Modern tank), where I got it and I refered him to Xmarks. While talking with Rick, another guy walked up and asked, "So what are your tartan colors?" Since I was wearing the Cameron Modern I said, "Red, Green and Gold" with a perfect straight face and Rick was trying his hardest not to laugh out loud. A few minutes later, the guys wife came over and politley asked "What Clan is your tartan?". When I replied is was the Cameron Mod. Rick started laughing again and she wanted to know what was so funny. When I told her what her husband asked us and the answer I gave him she started to laugh too. As she walked away she said, "Your wife is lucky to be married to you, you're a man with confidence"

The gal that was taking the Wedding and Reception photos asked if she could take my picture as she wanted to show her husband that it's alright to wear the kilt for other activities besides the Highland games.

One the way home we stopped for supper and as we walked into the resturant, the Hostess remarked how good it was to see someone in a kilt and that she has a brother that wears a kilt quite often.

On the way home, my wife mentioned to me the number of positive comments that she received about my kilt and she said that I ought to wear it more when we go out. I replied that I would need to get a couple of more kilts if I were to do that and she said "We'll see".
    Earl D-
    Clans Cameron and MacLeod
    --------------------------------------------------
    I thought I had a handle on life-then one day the handle broke off!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Story. Thanks for sharing with us.
    His Noble Excellency Ryan the Innocent of Waldenshire under Throcket
    Free Your Legs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a great story, im glad you and your wife had fun, and power to the kilt!
    Hector Rojas Young | Chilean-Scot

operor non sentio mihi , quinymo agnosco mihi

Clan Young - We Ride!!

TheSp8 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer about the colors had me rolling. I can see myself giving the same sort of answer. It sounds like you represented yourself and the rabble well. Tell you wife we gave you permission to get another kilt. Yeah, that'll work.

YMOS,
    Tony
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Teddy Roosevelt

If you are fearful, never learn any art of fighting" Master Liechtenauer, c.1389

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your wife is a convert
    Animo non astutia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say, you need to take advantage to the "we'll see". See if she likes Isle of Skye...
    Wallace Catanach, Kiltmaker

A day without killting is like a day without sunshine.