X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Culloden Tartan - Reweave of the original. Anyone interested?

A couple of years ago I had a length of the original Culloden woven, i.e. to the setting and colours. I very quickly sold out.
    Subsequently a couple of XMarkers have contacted me recently about the possibility of getting some more woven. I am happy to co-ordinate this providing there is sufficient interest.

There previous run was done in WoB shades rather than matching the original, somewhat faded, ones. Here's a picture from Matt Newsome comparing the last run with the usual commercial pattern. Quite different!

And here is the original cloth.

I'm planning on a 16oz cloth, probably woven by Elliots. Single or double width (and therefore price) would depend on the level of interest. Who's interested and which colouration would you like, the original or WoB shades?

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested, but I've always been confused by the color options. Could you elaborate on the differences, or point me towards more info?

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
    I'm interested, but I've always been confused by the color options. Could you elaborate on the
    differences, or point me towards more info?
    Have you read my paper on the Culloden Coat?

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, I was probably a little quick on the draw. I did do some research after posting and found your paper on the coat. I guess I would be most interested in a weave that represents the tartan as it would have originally appeared, not in it's faded version, or done in intense modern dyes.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, you know I am very, very interested in participating in this run. I am hoping that some of my fellow XMTS' are as excited about the opportunity to do this as I am. Peter you can count me in on whichever variation is decided upon. Come on guys and gals, I hope there's a lot of interest generated, as I really would love to have some of this tartan. thank you again Peter for starting a new thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested, thought the timing may be an issue due to other commitments that I have.
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey KD Burke, who knows when the run will actually take place. Hopefully the timing will work out for you as well. This tartan is on my "must have" list, so I'm hoping that this thread will generate allot of interest. The more interest there is, the lower the price will be!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, also I'm partial to the WoB coloration, as was the original run. Would consider the other option if push came to shove.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a PM with figheadair, for clarity, there is only one option for a run of The Original Culloden Tartan, and it would be of the WoB color pallet. The WoB pallet can be viewed in the original image at the start of the thread, the one on the right side of the image. The tartan on the left side of the image is Lochcarron's Ancient, and the image below that is an actual photo of the Culloden Coat, of which the WoB is the accurate representation of. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehighlands4me View Post
    After a PM with figheadair, for clarity, there is only one option for a run of The Original Culloden Tartan, and it would be of the WoB color pallet. The WoB pallet can be viewed in the original image at the start of the thread, the one on the right side of the image. The tartan on the left side of the image is Lochcarron's Ancient, and the image below that is an actual photo of the Culloden Coat, of which the WoB is the accurate representation of. Just my 2 cents worth.
    I think we may have got our wires crossed. That, or the fact that I'd been travelling for 14 hrs and my brain was addled. To clarify, I can organise a run in either WoB, the original, or both shades. It just depends on the demand.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast